Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer tidbits  (Read 949 times)

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifer tidbits
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:33:25 am »

Today I was playing around with getting through and aquifer, have tried a few times in the past but various things kept going wrong. I finaly managed to punch through an aquifer using pumps, and after doing so I kept playing around with the aquifer and found out a few things.

If you don't know the size of an aquifer, it can take a while to get through, as I think erring on the side of making your starting area larger is better then finding out its too small. I have a new apreciation for those players that build under the ocean, which since I have gone through an aquifer I am going to atempt sometime in the future now.

Though I noticed many people say don't do any digging on the level directly under the aquifer, I found out it is possible to dig out that floor with some preperations. As I found out any tile that is not directly under a damp wall tile or unrevealed tile of the aquifer level can be mined out without any flooding. Which means if you strip-channel the entire aquifer level, you can mine however you want on the floor under it, if it is not also an aquifer.

Also I noticed on the wiki it said waterwheels will not get power from an aquifer level, but somehow mine did. This is how my area for getting through the aquifer looked from the side.

Side view
|  PP  ...  PP   |
|_| |_..._|  |_| 

Top view, stretch out the side view, had soil in the outer corners, and waterwheels in the outer channels, going the same diretion as the channels. Before I built the wheels, I did have some people do manual pumping. Though what I found odd, is that since I didn't build my wall right next to the soil wall, was could see movement in the outer channels, but not the inner one that was left over. So I think you just need to add motion of some sort to a channel in the aquifer level to get waterwheels to work.

I also do have one small question, what is the most layers an aquifer can span per layer it shows before embark? As that will allow me to better plan future aquifer peircings.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aquifer tidbits
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:58:19 am »

The largest aquifer I've heard of was a 6 level aquifer, in a thread on here. Most I've seen was 3.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 07:12:42 am »

If you find an aquifer in a rock layer, as opposed to soil, it can be pretty darn deep.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 07:34:33 am »

6 levels?!??!?! Goddamnit and I gave up on a 2-level aquifer.. Then again, I didn't have magma, which would've made it so much easier..
6-levelled aquifer without magma or on a glacier, sounds like a megaproject to me... GO!!!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 02:14:11 pm »

glaciers make aquifers easy-peasy.

dig. freeze. dig. freeze. dig... whups!
 *Likot - Miner - has been encased in ice block*
 *Dastot - Miner - has been encased in ice block*
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 02:37:58 pm »

Yeah that's annoying :p
But apparently with the right methods glacier-aquifers can be pretty easy, even though I prefer normal temperatures >.<
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 10:37:16 pm »

6 levels? Ouch.. Though was that on embark or actual?

As I know there can be some huge aquifers, as I have seen some rather large ones, but that was on a map that showed 3 layers before embark. Would be interesting to see how many actual layers can come with each embark layer.

But yeah, magma or glacier's make getting through aquifers much easier, as long as you don't make KFD or a dwarficle.