Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Ambush?  (Read 1760 times)

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
Dwarven Ambush?
« on: January 16, 2009, 03:16:37 am »

ver 40c.
regular dwarf fortress, no modded race or hacks except for the old speed hack.
year 4 of my fortress of 68 (yeah... I sort of... Lost a few here or there...)

Hoi, I haven't been keeping up with the updates as well as I probally should, but I did get something strange. Now I don't think it was an anomaly, but it was certainly strange.

Basically... Well, the latest goblin ambush on my fort was led by a pikedwarf. Yes, a pikedwarf. It looked like he had a goblin name, (it was a mess of s's and and p's, no urist mcbackstabber here) and he showed up as a dwarf, his equipment was that of a dwarf, but he wielded a pike and led a group of goblins.

i took a peek at his equipment, and yeah he was a dwarf alright, and when he was spotted by a dwarf a message came up (a lone dwarf ambush) or something to that effect. He got along fine with the gobbos. As I mentioned previously, it looked like he was leading them, always in the front of the pack.

Now, I know I've missed some fairly major updates, but when were dwarves being attacked by their own kind? In unison with goblins no less! Probally just a glitch in reading the name of the creature, but I can't say for sure, I don't mod or program, and I don't really think its a glitch, simply because a message popped when he was seen and soon gibbed. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:20:35 am by Slinkyfest »
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Ambush?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 03:20:06 am »

He was snatched by a goblin when he was a young'un, and raised as a proper dwarf-hating goblin.

You'll see goblin-aligned humans and elves too, from time to time.

Kill 'em dead.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:22:05 am »

He was snatched by a goblin when he was a young'un, and raised as a proper dwarf-hating goblin.

Kill 'em dead.

I... Wait... What? Really? Wow... Thats bleedin amazing! Hahaha, man, thats awesome. Thanks for the heads up Kanil!
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 12:27:24 pm »

Dwarves with goblins are quite common, and it can get a wee bit confusing at times as to who are your guys and who are the goblins' when in the heat of battle.

You'll also occasionally see diplomats and so on for one race that are of another race (e.g. in one of my games I had an elf who was a diplomat for the humans), but because of babysnatching you'll most commonly see goblin raiders that are backed (or led) by dwarves/humans/elves who they've raised from infancy, as was the case here.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:04:55 pm »

Since worldgen critters run out, it might be worth having a single row of cage traps at your entrance so you can capture and release the squad leaders

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:15:55 pm »

Kill 'em dead.

Yeah you can probably read about him in the legends.

Weird though how he used a pike. I thought pikes were too big for dwarves. Of course there are many ways to wield a pike..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 09:04:15 pm »

those rules are actually meant for YOUR dwarves, and arent' coded for anyone else. They're simply given a random weapon, with no regard to race capabilites.

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »

In my most recent fort/world all of the goblins have been lead by humans, often primarily human in composition.

Checked history and apparently goblins took over a human civilization, and now humans out number them.

More confusing is the single dwarf trader that shows up with the elven caravan.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 10:21:50 pm »

as bad as it sounds, it means that the pansy elves beat the snot out of a bunch of dwarves, and ruled them.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 01:05:48 am »

I had a friend with a pretty long-standing fortress tell me that he once had some snatchers make off with a baby and didn't think too much of it, until the kid grew up with goblins and came back to siege his fortress with his new narrow pals several years later.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 01:12:22 am »

Then to keep seiges going and to get rid of kids, you should just hand them to the gobbos.

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 02:07:02 am »

as bad as it sounds, it means that the pansy elves beat the snot out of a bunch of dwarves, and ruled them.

Thats a horrible idea....Now I know what to do when I go into adventure land..

tacklemcclean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 03:03:35 am »

I had the same thing happen to me, but there were several dwarves attacking me, but they didn't actually do anything once they got in range of my own dwarves. They were also immune to my traps, but I could luckily hurt them.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:00:44 pm »

Yes, "Goblinised Dwarves" seem to be trap-immune for some reason. Fortunately the Goblins they lead are not, so it just leads to more pain.

And yes, siegers/ambushers seem to be exempt from the usual weapon-wielding rules. Technically, you should never see a goblin with a Maul, a bow, a halberd or a greataxe (to name a few). They have the same weapon limitations as dwarves. But you know it happens.