Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mid-game modding  (Read 1160 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
mid-game modding
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:20:38 am »

this seems a remarkably uneducated question, but how much in the raws can be changed without mucking up a world? I know I can't ADD any items, but how far can I change what is there?

Specifics that bring up my ignorance:
world is generated,
nothing has been done in it besides Legends Mode and looking at the world in the Site Selector.

I decided on a site where I am definitely going to be dropping many things into the ocean.
Leaving stuff to sit on the bottom until I drain Bloody Bay is silly. I want something to carry them off and piss off the dwarves who made that sunken masterwork.
Can I change a larger local fish to have a grasping mouth (the cat-mouth from the cat-fix, so I'm not adding any bodyparts to the raws) and give them the CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM tag?
How much can I change their bodies and various tags before the game decides it doesn't like me? I'm thinking Kobold Of The Sea here (although I know they can't have CAN_CIV like kobolds.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: mid-game modding
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:21:03 pm »

You can change anything except add or remove complete objects/entities/creatures. This also applies to removing an object from one raw file and moving it to another. Some of the init things can't be changed without weirdness, but I don't remember which ones. Some things can be changed, but like clothing, they are determined at world gen. This means you could change it with no problems, but the change won't actually have an effect until the next world gen. Changing bodies is fine, as long as you don't add or remove a completely new body part in the body.txt file.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:50:04 pm »

Basically:

You can't add or remove things, but you can change things.

Specifics that bring up my ignorance:
world is generated,
nothing has been done in it besides Legends Mode and looking at the world in the Site Selector.

I decided on a site where I am definitely going to be dropping many things into the ocean.
Leaving stuff to sit on the bottom until I drain Bloody Bay is silly. I want something to carry them off and piss off the dwarves who made that sunken masterwork.
Can I change a larger local fish to have a grasping mouth (the cat-mouth from the cat-fix, so I'm not adding any bodyparts to the raws) and give them the CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM tag?
Yes, this should be possible.

How much can I change their bodies and various tags before the game decides it doesn't like me? I'm thinking Kobold Of The Sea here (although I know they can't have CAN_CIV like kobolds.
I'm not sure about this. Just keep a save backed up in case, but it should be fine.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 07:20:29 pm »

Also, almost everything in the entity_default.txt file is determined at worldgen, so most changes made to that one won't take effect until you make a new world.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 01:56:31 am »

not making an entity, just annoying item stealers of the deep. If I drop crap into the ocean I want it GONE. not sitting around adding to my fortressvalue AND contributing to any FPS problems I may encounter trying to drain the entire bay.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:37:48 am »

I've successfully added PET and TAMEABLE tags to animals mid-game, and soon had my very own, non-dwarf-eating unicorn herd. So at least some tags work.

Another one is the SIZE tag. You make megabeasts ridiculously huge and generate a world. Much more survive, but you lower the SIZE after the world has been created so that they're more reasonable again.