Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disinterested Fortress  (Read 1180 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Disinterested Fortress
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:47:03 pm »

So I'm thinking of trying out a challenge where I do as little work as possible.

No micromanagement.  No careful designation of rooms.  And, if possible, only one look at any given dwarf's labors, EVER.  If that.

I'm thinking BIG communal sleeping barracks, another BIG room for tons of crafting, outside farming only, harvesting a lot of wood and then occasionally putting the carpenter on beds R barrels R, and doing something similar for the mason (lots of coffins, chairs, tables).  That and drafting lots and lots of people as wrestlers.

Will probably want a heavily wooded map, with a river (for water)...

The only labors that'll take more than a casual glance is the metalsmithing.  If I can embark on a big pile of magnetite though, I think a big wood industry (mark the whole map once in a while) should be good enough.

No traps, because those are a pain to place individually!  If I have a HUGE pile of axedwarves with iron equipment, I should be fine I hope.

Any thoughts?  Anyone done this before?  I'm curious what kind of population and what kind of nobles you can get this way.  Maybe I can even make it to just before the King!..
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disinterested Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:21:10 am »

I've actually heard of someone 'playing' the game by embarking and just walking away from the computer. The dwarves apparently did just fine eating vermin and drinking ditch water for the longest time.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:30:03 am »

I think there is a utility that unpauses the game when pauses come. Just make sure not to appoint a broker so when the traders come the message screen won't pause the game. 
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:30:41 am »

The OP sounds a bit like my fortresses. Labors are assigned to random idlers when I need a job done. Workshops aren't necessarily placed near their resource, but in the first open spot I see. If I build aboveground, buildings can have one or two walls ripped out and expanded when needed.

Despite next to no planning, it works well.

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM MINTY FRESH, ARE YOU MY SEVEN?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 06:21:04 pm »

I've thought about something like this before. What would be cool would be a togglable limited AI to allow the dwarves to try to survive on their own (similar to the background intelligence in The Sims). Then just embark and walk away. Come back later and see how far they've gone.

Hell that could make an awesome screensaver ;)

-V

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 04:13:30 am »

I'd like to see something like that so's you could leave your fortress without abandoning it and visit the still running fortress in adventure mode.
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:00:36 pm »

I'm thinking removing the [CHILD] and [BABY] tags so the mommies give birth to full-grown dwarves, getting about 150 barrels, making a BIG underground farm to plump helmets and setting some stills on booze, cutting off acces to the aboveground and then leave the computer with a pause-remover program or something ^^

Sorry if that didn't make sense, I'm so very tired right now......
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 04:18:33 pm »

sounds like my average fortress! :D

You may want to abandon and reclaim with an army, when the basics are set up.
't will get you a lot of steel armoured dwarves for free.
(and they come ready with professions too!)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 04:22:54 pm »

I've actually heard of someone 'playing' the game by embarking and just walking away from the computer. The dwarves apparently did just fine eating vermin and drinking ditch water for the longest time.
I did something like that =\ Except I brought a bunch of food and drink and 7 picks so I can see how much of the mountain my dwarves can mine out overnight. But my laptop overheated and turned off. When I turned it back on, only one of my dwarves was alive, picking away at the wall skinny and dry.