Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode: make shopkeepers stay in their shops  (Read 1056 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Adventure mode: make shopkeepers stay in their shops
« on: April 11, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

this is something that REALLY frustrates me

after risking my life looting from some goblins to be able to afford some nice new platemail, searching felt 3 years for the armor shop in the town only to find that it is completely empty

stuff like that happens all the time, and I had approximately 20 adventurers die since the last time I was able to buy something at a shop

I BEG you Toady, do something about this

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Adventure mode: make shopkeepers stay in their shops
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

They have lives too, and go to sleep and eat and stuff.   The fact that they're not glued to their shops is one tiny bit of what makes DF good.   Realism.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>this is something that REALLY frustrates me

after risking my life looting from some goblins to be able to afford some nice new platemail, searching felt 3 years for the armor shop in the town only to find that it is completely empty

stuff like that happens all the time, and I had approximately 20 adventurers die since the last time I was able to buy something at a shop

I BEG you Toady, do something about this</STRONG>

It's only realism.  Try milling around a while before going all psycho that he's gone.

Think about it, in reality, shops (that is, ones that are run by ONE PERSON, not these big chain stores) have to be closed a lot because the owner has to eat or sleep.  The same applies to DF.

Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

If I may post a suggestion

Perhaps shops that earn or contain a certain amount of money should be able to hire people to tend to the store while the owner is away.

I mean respectfully a armor shop that sells anything above Leather (unless it is really lucrative Leather) would be absolutely wealthy and in most towns it means they could quite litterally buy out the town and hire everyone as his charge.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>If I may post a suggestion

Perhaps shops that earn or contain a certain amount of money should be able to hire people to tend to the store while the owner is away.

I mean respectfully a armor shop that sells anything above Leather (unless it is really lucrative Leather) would be absolutely wealthy and in most towns it means they could quite litterally buy out the town and hire everyone as his charge.</STRONG>

The armor shop is only that wealthy if the owner can find enough people to buy out the whole inventory at decent prices, which wouldn't normally be the case for an armorer in a small town. Unless the merchant has truly ridiculous amounts of money sitting around for no good reason, he'd have to somehow convince everyone to work for him and give up all their property in barter for lots of armor they don't need.

It's almost certain that an armor shop would lose more money paying shopkeepers to cover the off hours than it would gain in additional purchases.

Most merchants should probably live and work in the same building, instead of having a separate store and home. This wouldn't mean that you could just barge in and demand to trade whenever though. The current setup just seems anachronistic.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

We should have a temporary fix. Locked doors.
If shop keeper isn't inside you won't be either.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...