Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pond zones over ground, not just open space  (Read 1029 times)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pond zones over ground, not just open space
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

I don't think that open space should be a requirement for placing a pond activity zone (and the same perhaps for pits, as well).  It should still be allowed just as it is now, but I would like to be able to dump water on the ground without having to dig a hole in the ceiling to do so.

The reason I want to do this is to make it easier to set up a temporary farm plot without having to use soil, without having to actually build any water system, and without having to dig a hole in the farm plot's ceiling from which the dwarves dump water.  It only makes sense that if all you need is muddy ground, and dwarves can carry water around in buckets, then they should be able to make any ground they can access muddy.  Since they can easily walk through 1/7 water, they should have no problem simply dumping a bucket at their feet.

Sure, some people would say that this would make farming, which is already easy, too easy.  I'm not focusing on balance here, admittedly.  I just want to be able to do something that seems obvious without having to dig holes in ceilings, which might mess up my plans for future expansion.  (It wouldn't be as bad if constructed floors/walls acted more like mined-out floors, but that's another issue.)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pond zones over ground, not just open space
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

Using pond zones for watering fields doesn't really make sense anyway.
Maybe we could add an auto-water toggle to farm plots, much like fertilizer, and make them buildable anywhere?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Using pond zones for watering fields doesn't really make sense anyway.
Maybe we could add an auto-water toggle to farm plots, much like fertilizer, and make them buildable anywhere?</STRONG>

That does sound better.  I just want to be able to have dwarves carry buckets of water to spots where I want to grow stuff.  This would certainly allow such an activity in a very sensible manner.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Using pond zones for watering fields doesn't really make sense anyway.
Maybe we could add an auto-water toggle to farm plots, much like fertilizer, and make them buildable anywhere?</STRONG>

Of course, for this to work, you would have to be allowed to build farm plots on non-muddy stone in the first place.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 04:54:00 am »

Hence buildable anywhere.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.