Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to stop item dispersal when abandoning?  (Read 618 times)

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there any way to stop item dispersal when abandoning?
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:12:20 pm »

Hey all, I'm building a giant pyramid/ziggurat where I'm planning to house the tombs of my nobles and military champions. I'm also going to make a tomb for every dwarf who created an artifact, and if the artifact isn't practically usable I want to stick it in the tomb with them. One thing I'm trying to do is make the area fun to explore in adventurer mode, and I'd like there to be actual rewards for the adventurer to find after braving the labyrinths and the traps. Is there any way to make sure the artifacts I leave there won't be strewn around the place when I abandon?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to stop item dispersal when abandoning?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:18:03 pm »

I belie'e putting them in heavy bins is the classic, usu. lead. I'e Not personally tested.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:01:11 am »

Heavy bins, and putting items on a Z-level with JUST a small room, if the rooms the only thing on that Z-level they should only be scattered in there.
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:29:46 pm »

I think if you go into the raws and make everything incredably dense, and then abandon your fortress, and start an adventurer, and then save the game and reload, it MIGHT keep everything in place.

It all depends on when the scattering effect happens, and when the item weight is checked. If the item weight is in the hundreds of thousands, there should be almost no scattering effect... Assuming items get scattered based on weight.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 01:24:06 am »

There was an old mod for the Modbase utility that included a new ultra dense alloy. I don't remember the exact density, but it was higher than lead and enough to keep anything from scattering, at all.
!!&!!