Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windmills: An interesting mechanical problem  (Read 1169 times)

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
Windmills: An interesting mechanical problem
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:22:21 am »

I have a power plant set up to run in my fort, made up of a bank of windmills. They produce a modest amount of power, but since they only need to power a three pumps, it's never been much of a problem.
However, I installed a millstone to the system a few years ago, which is the only other power drain on that plant. I just queued up a job, when it tells me that it doesn't have enough power. I look at the plant, and it's locked up. Spontaniously, either the power demand went up (Between the pump and the mill stone), or the wind died down.

Can wind even do that?
What the heck is going on?

Edit: I just checked against my records, and the power production dropped, from 240 units to 160. What the hell is going on?
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-9946-powerplants <-- My records
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:24:40 am by Cypress »
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Windmills: An interesting mechanical problem
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:24:26 am »

Wind doesn't die down, I don't think.

You'll need to add more power to the system in order to return it to a functional level, since not having enough power disables the whole system. Add another windmill or two, and the problem should solve itself.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 02:27:28 am »

There's also some issue where either the millstone or its power source needs to be built first, iirc. Can't find a ref for that though...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:30:07 am »

The power source was definately built first.

Also, update. Watching the mills, it looks like only four of the mills are actually spinning. What happened to the others, did they just spontaneously stop? I disconnected one of the stopped mills from the system, and it is producing no power...what the [expletive deleted!~]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:34:07 am by Cypress »
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:34:43 am »

Center square count as outside?

Check the power supplied/power required on each, it sounds like they're not all connected together, so they won't all report the same.

(Windmill: +40/+20/+0. Waterwheel: +100 and -10. Millstones and Screwpumps: -10. Gear Assemblies: -5. Axles: -1.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 04:27:35 am »

Are all the windmills in the same biome? Part of your map might have wind, and part might not.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 05:30:50 am »

I'm pretty sure wind can and does vary. That's part of what balances them with waterwheels; a properly set up waterwheel will always churn out 100 units of power, but requires water, whereas a windmill can be plonked anywhere outside, but has a variable output.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:17:41 pm »

Ok, so, here's the update, and I'm starting to think this is a bug. I disconnected one of the non working windmills from the rest of them, and then disassembled it, leaving the gear box behind. Then, when I rebuilt the windmill, it STILL failed to produce any power. So...the windmills are refusing to spin. Oh, and the powerplant just to the north? No trouble at All. What the [expletive deleted!~]

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 05:26:50 pm »

Could there be something blocking the wind above it?  Is the center tile marked as outside?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 05:36:57 pm »

Could there be something blocking the wind above it?  Is the center tile marked as outside?
...Oh f*ck no...

I've been expanding the city above it, and...aw, that's just mean.

They were outside when they were built. They ain't any more.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:42:09 pm »

There needs to be a construction where dwarves can produce power to be fed into the axle/gear network.

Someday I will create a vision of mine; an entire fort where every room can be levered into the mechanical power grid, powered by a combination of water, wind, and dwarf power.

Maybe it's something to do with all those damn peasants.
'What is my job, mayor Urist?'
"Well, mister Urist, you stand here, and you crank this handle."
'What does this accomplish?'
"You add power into our grid."
'By winding a handle all day?'
"Yes. There are beds to rent nearby, and food and booze. You never need to leave, except to haul goods."
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 06:16:43 am »

...Oh f*ck no...

I've been expanding the city above it, and...aw, that's just mean.

They were outside when they were built. They ain't any more.
Well if you have a bleeding great city blocking the wind how would you expect windmills to work in real life? But in all seriousness, you could just create several holes in your city, directly above your windmills to "let the wind through".

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 07:18:46 am »

Haha. I've had to leave all sorts of weird holes in the floors of my fortresses because of that one. knew right away what had happened with yours.

"Likot? Why is there a hole here? I thought... WHY CAN I SEE THE GROUND? We're 12 stories up!!"
"Dude, don't you want BREAD?"
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]