Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unit List Sorting  (Read 1095 times)

Azeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unit List Sorting
« on: January 01, 2007, 07:32:00 am »

Though a small change, I wouldn't mind seeing the unit list sorted/sortable alphabetically by job or name. Either this or putting dwarves with custom jobs in their own category, though that would be a little less nice. Whilst dwarves are already grouped by their jobs, giving them a custom job title doesn't change their sorting.

For instance, I have six people, chosen for their high agility and generally meaningless or redundant positions, who have had their jobs renamed to 'Catapulter'. They're siege operators who have no other jobs enabled. When trying to find them in the unit list, however, they're still grouped by their previous professions, which makes locating them a chore; they stand out a little better with their renamed jobs, but it'd be nice for them to be separated out, as with alphabetical listing by profession.

Another related, yet minor, addition would be the ability to choose the color of a custom job title (and, thus, the dwarf itself).

Temporal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unit List Sorting
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:19:00 am »

As an extension of this, having seperate tabs for dwarves, animals, etc (such as with Animals, Kitchen, and so on in general status). It would be nice to be able to scroll up in the list without having to pass through every animal that has ever been present on the map.

Actually, the more I play the more I realize how useful unit sorting would be, as it is I find myself scrolling and scrolling through the menu if I want to check the stats, or armor/weapon setup of dwarves with a particular job.

Scroll down to a farmer, check their skills, exit, scroll down to the next farmer, check their skills, exit, and so on for however many farmers I have.

[ January 03, 2007: Message edited by: Temporal ]

[ January 03, 2007: Message edited by: Temporal ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Unit List Sorting
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »

There are a lot of suggestions for the unit screen.  I'm not sure how it will turn out.

For custom jobs, it seems like there are two separate notions most frequently talked about.  One is a skill set, associated to a name and color.  The other are names used to distinguish individual dwarves for other reasons, such as "Swordsdwarf IV".  The custom profession names and individual profession names are fighting over the same space, so I suppose there would need to be another field added, with the custom profession lacing in between the default profession and the individual profession name.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!