Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Idea Cesspool Thread  (Read 1926 times)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea Cesspool Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:15 pm »

I want pure (smelted) Gallium to melt when my idiot dorfs run around willy nilly with it!

"Oh darn, my armor just melted off meh arm!"

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 09:01:20 pm »

I want pure (smelted) Gallium to melt when my idiot dorfs run around willy nilly with it!

"Oh darn, my armor just melted off meh arm!"

If you mess with SPEC_TEMP and MELTING_POINT tags, I'm sure you can make it happen. Metals have those, they just don't have the ability to ''give off'' heat/cold.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you look at that hat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 12:18:53 am »

No dice, ITEMCORPSE has the same vermin problem.

Idea:  A stone that has an IGNITE_POINT just over natural temperatures and a "trigger" stone that has a FIXED_TEMP just over that but low enough not to immediately damage the dwarf.  In theory we could set up controlled fires this way.  This is entirely possible, the trick is finding the temperature range that would allow it to happen.

I was told that currently stones do not actually use the  fixed temp tag, Sadly :(
but if you test it, then we can be sure! I so want this one to be true, you have no idea.

They do!  My Zombie Mod has nuclear reactors which occasionally go critical using FIXED_TEMP above their BOILING_POINT and IGNITE_POINT.  Honestly, the reason I want more specific numbers on when heat and cold damage start is so that I can have the nuclear waste be harmful without it being insta-kill.  Burning things is a bonus.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 03:20:26 am »

Just post any idea that could be possible with some modding, and maybe some answers too.

I thought it would be cool to have a spider who's extract was boiling, so when it bit someone they'd be injected with magma. Now that's a death.

tried it. didn't work.
ALso - you can't get the extract and dump it down murder holes on things.
the problem? It will light the dwarf trying to dump it on fire, and you can't just dump the vial, because vials (Even glass ones) don't break when dropped - no matter how far they fall.
in the next big version it might, though, since boiling gold blood is possible.
'nilla Liquid Fire do that?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:43 am »

don't recall, but in the next version it will be like that... except apparently when you get bit you WILL light on fire. Sweeet.

Just found this out.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 11:17:13 pm »

I was told that currently stones do not actually use the  fixed temp tag, Sadly :(
but if you test it, then we can be sure! I so want this one to be true, you have no idea.

They do!  My Zombie Mod has nuclear reactors which occasionally go critical using FIXED_TEMP above their BOILING_POINT and IGNITE_POINT.  Honestly, the reason I want more specific numbers on when heat and cold damage start is so that I can have the nuclear waste be harmful without it being insta-kill.  Burning things is a bonus.

Hm, weird, I ran some tests and FIXED_TEMP does something.  It definitely applies to the stone, because that will boil or ignite or melt if any of those values are below it's own FIXED_TEMP.  It will also destroy any buildings made with materials with those values lower than it's temp while it's in them (the smelter) which, strangely, automatically destroys the stone as well, no matter how high it's own immunity is.  It does not, however, do anything to creatures or other objects.  I'll have to test further.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 11:33:24 pm »

Hm, weird, I ran some tests and FIXED_TEMP does something.  It definitely applies to the stone, because that will boil or ignite or melt if any of those values are below it's own FIXED_TEMP.  It will also destroy any buildings made with materials with those values lower than it's temp while it's in them (the smelter) which, strangely, automatically destroys the stone as well, no matter how high it's own immunity is.  It does not, however, do anything to creatures or other objects.  I'll have to test further.

reeeally. does it only destroy? or can you use it to light, say, Coal, on fire? a floor made of coal? 'cuz - Murderholes!
[/quote]

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 11:37:20 pm »

Buildings, like the smelter.  I'm fairly certain that constructions are still invulnerable.

Logs are unaffected in adjacent squares, my dwarves won't dump things for some reason so I haven't been able to test same square yet.  Tests on water are also planned.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 11:40:31 pm »

THere's a new option for draining your accidentally flooded fortress, BOIL IT OFF  ;D
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]