Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: While we're in process of expanding entities...  (Read 1469 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
While we're in process of expanding entities...
« on: January 04, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

...maybe add tags to allow multiple creature types per entity?

By "we" I mean Toady, of course.  ;)

The amount of uses for this is quite large, getting different species of kobolds or goblins to live together is one. Separating male and female creatures into different creature definitions would be nice too.

On the same topic, is it possible to make a tag that makes an entity "invisible"? As in, it generates the entity's settlements and civspace, but does not mark them in any way, not even on the map once revealed. The idea is to have settlements of, say, antmen, batmen, and the like.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: While we're in process of expanding entities...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

That'll be a lot of work, so I'm not going to jump in and do it now.  There are lots of places now where it assumes one intelligent race / entity.

I'm not sure I understand does not mark them once revealed.  I haven't quite sorted it out, but kobolds are invisible sort of in the way you describe.  Any cave dwelling entity would be like that.  Perhaps it wouldn't be much work to extend that to entities that also create their own sites, although that might lead to some strangeness during civ expansion.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

Hmm, yes, I probably meant something like a general "cave". I mean, not something you would see on the map as a "batman retreat" of some sort, but a generic world feature. So, it's still a civ, with all incurred benefits (of having assigned armor and tools, f.ex.), but does nothing to show itself as one.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

One thing it might be good doing now is some "wildlife" cive entity tags.
For example, to be a bit egocentric, my giant hornets use current [FOREST_SETTLEMENTS] from elves, so that they won't have buildings, however this should not change at whatever future point elves get magical giant trees to live in, I think it is fairly reasonable that there is a tag meaning NONE for building construction.
in the same line it might be a good idea to have a simple nomadic civ whit appropriate tags, it could just use the same human creatures as the plains civ does, basically it would have more migrant groups that never settle and no sites.
What also would help moding is custom names for sites, like elves would need to have something in the lines of [SITENAME:forest retreat:forest retreats] and dwarves [SITENAME:mountain hall.:mountain halls].
What would also be good and job should MOSTLY be a copy-paste (of coerce you can never know whit Toadys code...) is to make a professions/skills to use custom names like the dwarves currently use to call XXXmen for XXXdwarves (fisherdwarves and swordsdwarves for example).
Also for future [animal]men civ (and so peaple won't complain I only suggest things I currently need myself in moding) already now adding a chasm choice to the biomes might be good.

On a unrelated note should not some of the venoms that currently stun/paralyze victims rather/also cause pain? I suggest [EXTRACT_PAIN].

I know that you have stated moding is of very low priority, therefor I have tried to come up whit ways these could be useful in the vanilla game, also due to the new moding subforum, useful lists posted there and mentions in the devlog I thought you might have partially changed your mind about that, if not I ask of forgivingness.

These would be very useful however. Please? *puppy eyes* [<- unskilful attempted guilt trip]

Your vision is the most important thing however, and suggestions that contradict that I don't want you to listen to, even if because I misinterpreted it they came from me.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>These would be very useful however. Please? *puppy eyes* [<- unskilful attempted guilt trip]</STRONG>

Yeah, you need training.  It's done more like this:
*Clasps hands together and looks up at Toady with big, round, watery puppy-dog eyes*

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>That'll be a lot of work, so I'm not going to jump in and do it now.  There are lots of places now where it assumes one intelligent race / entity.
</STRONG>

You, uh, might want to take a look at this thread, where I've found a civ in adventure mode that's got dwarves and elves living together. You've already GOT multi-race civs, although I'm not sure if you meant to.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

That comes as a result of migrants stopping at towns either temporarily or permanently, which is different.  Supporting it in the entity tags would imply you can do it in dwarf mode, which would break all kinds of things.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

A recent (failed) experiment with modding made me want to make another request. As I understood, Toady, you are separating the entity site placement tags functions from the other possible applications of them, or something like that.

Would it be possible to make a non-existant entity? As in, one that does not generate sites at all, as opposed to just generating "hidden" sites. The use for this is allowing, say, batmen, ratmen, troglodytes, giants, ettins, and the like, to use crude, makeshift, or stolen weapons, without making them an entity. I'd imagine it would be easier than adding the weapon, armor, and other relevant tags to the creatures themselves.

Also, to clarify - does the system you are currently setting up allow, say, making forest-built "towns", tall towers in the swamps, deep caves in the deserts, etc, etc?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

Entities for the animal peoples and other critters like that are up on dev.  It'll go in at some point, but I'd need to do a bit more work to get it to work correctly.

Yeah, all those entity placements should work.  The ruins that the undead use are sort of a special case, so that might not work out.  Caves are all natural (rather than mined), so it would have to find a pre-existing cave for those to work, though if you use the dwarf style fortress instead you can have underground settlements wherever.  On the other hand, I haven't gotten to the point where I'm really working on improving/supporting this sort of thing fully.  Dwarf/elf cities are still boring, for example.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

The elf retreats won't be boring if they use the human town template, methinks. Granted, it will use the exact same (ugly) layout, but at least they'll have shops!

And, uh...  on the subject of shops. When will we be able to purchase ammunition? Add an "ammo bin" to the shop template, that will store such stuff. Although it's probably more complicated than I think..