Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tropics: Seeking Knowledge  (Read 797 times)

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Tropics: Seeking Knowledge
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:31:08 pm »

I've been having some trouble lately. Been trying to create worlds of late to find the type of area I want to build in. This being a Tropical area. However, I've only been worldgenning worlds with entirely temperate climates.

It seems all the FUN animals, IE, Hippos, Elephants, and whatnot exist in tropical regions and I'm tired of building fortresses in areas with only a specific kind of animal set.

What do I need to do to gen a world with tropical regions? I don't know why, but I'm only getting Temperate, even when putting in a new game install and genning some more worlds. No tropics at all, just Temperate.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Tropics: Seeking Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:18:13 pm »

In my experience, you have to gen a large size world to get tropics. That might be your problem, or maybe the RNG is just screwing with you.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:40:03 pm »

Try increasing the average temperature range (to 40-70, or something), as well as the rainfall(to 30-100 or so). That should encourage more tropics to form (as opposed to scorching deserts).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:29:35 pm »

Aaah, a large world does have tropics. Should have figured that was the reason.

However, the increased Rainfall gives an infinite reject cycle. Odd...

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:41:11 pm »

intresting, your proplem with a infinite loop. This is just a guess but wouldn't 100% have 1% chance to work  the same. my arguement is that the world gen is lookign for that % and over so by my theroy 70% would have 30% of worlds accepted possibly? obiovosly this percent is effected by other world gen factors and thus might not be viewed in a logical series at all

i have no proof to base the theroy on just pure guesswork
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:55:41 pm »

Vertical size is the answer. A 16x257 world is almost guaranteed to have temperature extremes and still gen fairly quickly.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:35:29 am »

Quote from: NegaDwarf
However, the increased Rainfall gives an infinite reject cycle. Odd...

Go to the advanced parameters menu.
Scroll down until you see something like "Minimum number of low-rain squares".
Set it to 0.

If you don't do it while changing the rain to be, say, 30-100, you'll get infinite rejects. Because, obviously, no world will have sufficient number of low-rain squares to not be rejected.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:37:15 am by Murphy »