Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reveal world history or not?  (Read 848 times)

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reveal world history or not?
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:45:10 am »

I am somewhat undecided on the matter. On one hand, I love reading about the exploits of famous people and other events. On the other hand, I like discovering more during the game. I wish there was some happy medium between revealing everything and nothing. Which way do you do it and why?

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal world history or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:46:07 am »

When the option was first added, I left it on most of the time, just to explore the cool histories.  More recently I've taken to leaving it off, just 'cause I like being able to see a list of stuff that I discovered ingame. 
  Perhaps sometime in the future Toady will add an option to reveal the history of only one race, such as dwarves, or just a small amount of early history and still leave interesting gaps for adventurers to fill in.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26:08 am »

Until there is a good method to learn history there isn't too much of a point in learning history.

Especially since most history fragments are of unimportant events... or duplicates of the same historical event.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:12:17 am »

I always play with reveal history: on. Why? Because it's fun to read the various stuffs in Legends mode.. ;D

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:59:50 am »

Hi!

Personally, I am an occasional player, so I often gen worlds hoping to get something I can share with others. Therefore, I prefer hidden world history.

In addition, uncovering all these details via the engravings in dwarf mode is also really exciting (engravings are one of my favorite aspects of the game).

Deathworks

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:17:11 pm »

Since one of the most fun things to do in my opinion is tracking down the person, or descendant of a person who ended an age, and assassinating them, I generally play with history revealed. Just so I don't spend eternity tracking down information that likely won't be revealed to me.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /