Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I had a question on starting locations (not pre-gen worlds)  (Read 513 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I had a question on starting locations (not pre-gen worlds)
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:03:12 pm »

I want to make my dwarf city in a secluded area. First I tried an island...I quickly abandoned that when I couldn't get to the stone since water was too high. Now I want to make a city in the mountains, but there would be an open area (hopefully medium or large size) where I can collect wood and maybe animals if there are any. So, I would have mountains all around me except the one area where its open inside the mountains. Hopefully that made sense.

My question is...and I did find a place like this once, it was awesome, until my save got corrupted somehow. Anyway, my question is would I still get traders and immigrants in a place like this? I don't really want to have to start out where everything is open. In RTS/strategy and city builders I always make my cities in a secluded area like this. If I can't get at least immigrants then it wouldn't really work.

Thanks. :)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a question on starting locations (not pre-gen worlds)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:20:48 pm »

You would still get immigrants, and traders using mules as long as the civs are nearby. You wont be able to get the wagons unless you of course clear an area to your trade depot.

The game wont allow you to start in mountains that are completely cut off from your civilisation unless you use the embark anywhere utility. If you use this you might only get immigrants. (IE if you embark on a named mountain or location deep within a mountain range)

I think thats how it works, but i havnt experiment with loads of different locations in fortress mode.
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:14 pm »

You will always get dwarf merchants and immigrants as long as there are dwarves in the world. However, a secluded fortress will get no contact from other races. No elves, humans, or goblins. And probably no kobolds, but it's hard to tell about them unless you have caves visible.

This is good for playing around with stuff and building megaprojects unmolested. Bad if you want an active military fortress.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:34:00 pm »

Before embarking, you can check what races can get to the site.  If they aren't listed, they won't come.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:59:11 am »

Okay thank you :)

I was thinking though, if mountains surround everything except the one open area...how would anyone get through? Since mountains would block access wouldn't they? So, if thats the case...I can build a 2 or 3 person tunnel (that are together) leading out of the mountains to the main open area, and the tunnel would lead back to the area I am in.

So, picture your room...that would be the open area my fortress would be. Then picture all around on the outside of the room is closed in by mountains. Then outside is the open area where the immigrants/merchants can come through the tunnel.

Or a better example may be, for those who played World of Warcraft...there was a "secret" area behind Ironforge that you had to sorta cheat to get to. It was surrounded by mountains but it was a big open area.

Best way I can explain it. Thats how I picture how I want my base...and then I can hopefully build a tunnel leading to a bigger open area where the merchants/immigrants can travel through. I started a fortress like this once, didn't get to the immigrant part...but I had a small (well medium size I guess) open area and then mountains all around me.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn