Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Autoaccept world after __ rejects" in init.tx  (Read 1747 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Autoaccept world after __ rejects" in init.tx
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

Why? So you could tell it exactly which rejected world you wanted it to use. If you want to quickly generate a world to test out a mod, for example, you can just set it to 0 and no matter which seed you use, it will use the first world that it comes up with, regardless of how generally unplayable it is.
Naturally, it would default to "OFF."

Can anyone think of a better solution?

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Autoaccept world after __ rejects" in init.tx
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:13:00 am »

Yes, generate an arena : a very small world, with no reject, in which an interface lets you choose which creature you want to meet.

CharonX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

Why not just use a proven 0-reject seed?

Miminini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:04:00 am »

A 0 reject world generation may not be the point of this suggestion. Perhaps if someone does want to play with the rejected map despite whatever atrocities it has.

[ January 04, 2008: Message edited by: Miminini ]

CharonX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

Hmmm... that is a good point, though for mod-testing a 0R seed should do OK too.

[ January 04, 2008: Message edited by: CharonX ]

panoptiC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

One can always take Seed 0, has the required zero rejects and seems to show the same features with each generation. Maybe Toady uses it for testing? I do not quite see the point of having such a feature.

While a small area with the ability to select different geological features and have a fauna selection might be somewhat interessting. Not only for testing but also to get a feel for the game without ugly surprises, like say half a dozen of named hippos going berserk in your fortress, conveniently while you have no muscle, except for a dabbling wrestler law-enforcer.

R

Udil Nakuthcog now commands "The Golden Rims".

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by panoptiC:
<STRONG>One can always take Seed 0, has the required zero rejects</STRONG>

I recall someone saying it doesn't give zero rejects anymore since the last update or so.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>

I recall someone saying it doesn't give zero rejects anymore since the last update or so.</STRONG>

Correct, due to a change in the way that the algorithm runs so that random name vs. non-random name results in the same map.

Seed 0 may still be a 0 reject world (I haven't used it) but it won't be the same world.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 04:09:00 am »

Seed 0 is not a zero reject seed any more. I tried it a few days ago, just because I was curious as to how many rejects it had now. (Yes, I was testing a mod, as it happens. :P) Yeah, I cancelled that world gen, because I was bored of waiting for it. I forget how many rejections it got up to, but I remember it was a fair few.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Morlark:
<STRONG>Seed 0 is not a zero reject seed any more. I tried it a few days ago, just because I was curious as to how many rejects it had now. (Yes, I was testing a mod, as it happens. :P) Yeah, I cancelled that world gen, because I was bored of waiting for it. I forget how many rejections it got up to, but I remember it was a fair few.</STRONG>

What kind of mods?  Reaction.txt I hear messses with world-gen, as well as new creatures and possibly rock and plant types.
*Gens with a Vanilla data set*
Looks like a 2 reject world seed.  It was forming lakes up until a moment ago when the window stopped responding on me as I alt-tabbed to an IM window.

Ooops, I lied.  25 rejects...

87 rejects.