Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Run, Urist, RUN!  (Read 1656 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Run, Urist, RUN!
« on: January 03, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

There is a major missing element to dwarven life: Running. I think that this can be rectified. Dwarves in fortress mode will move faster when scared in combat and for a number of other reasons. However, I have never seen fleeing people move any faster than normal in adventurer mode. We need a toggleable "run mode", with a bonus to speed and some drawbacks to go with that.
-Running movement counts a tiring, like most combat actions, so you can force yourself to run for a long ways, but you will run yourself into unconsciousness too.
-in the turn following your movement, you suffer a penalty to hit, smaller penalty to dodge, and a slight bonus to damage according to facing/focus (charging).

Also, a totally unrelated suggestion: when there is a "pool" of blood, it has a certain chance of spontaneously shrinking one category and spawning a single tile of the lowest amount in an adjacent tile. This would not be enough to lead to the old blood spamming issue, but it would mean that a pile of goblin corpses  will have these little trickles spreading around, and blood will drip off of a cliff edge.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Run, Urist, RUN!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

definitely need running.  Not something that can be toggled, but instead kicks in when a unit becomes terrified - which means we need fears  ;)  Also, we need units to get winded - based on strength or something.

TheSilverHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

The problem with this is that dwarfs are too stupid to run.   If a dwarf dies under a hail of arrows, every other dwarf will try and get the loot even if you have them forbidden to go outside.  Once dwarf AI can make intelligent decisions based on danger, then maybe you can put running in.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

Or maybe they could use this running ability to better survive running out to pick up a !!cat leather mitten!! under a hail of fire?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

I think this is somewhat abstracted in right now.   At least, I think dwarves run from magma flows and such closing in on them.    I would rather ot have to micromanage which of my dwarves are running and which are not.

Killer-of-Lawyers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

I don't think dwarves would be very good runners, what with the shortness and all...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>I think this is somewhat abstracted in right now.   At least, I think dwarves run from magma flows and such closing in on them.    I would rather ot have to micromanage which of my dwarves are running and which are not.</STRONG>

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear; dwarves would run or walk by themselves, you would choose to only in adventure mode.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.