Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good open source games?  (Read 1806 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good open source games?
« on: March 03, 2011, 05:49:51 pm »

Do you guys know some good open source games out there that I could look at?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good open source games?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 05:51:50 pm »

Openttd
Vegastrike  - likely with some mod
If you like mariokart's style SuperTuxKart

Theres also some open source X-com projects around as well. [just type x-com + open source into a search engine]

If you liked theme hospital, and perhaps.. own it.. [or *cough* found it somehow *cough*]
theres a opensource frontend called Corsix-Th that makes it a bit easier to deal with on a modern operating system.

Incidently you just said "look at", i first assumed you ment "play", but did you actually mean learn from by reading code?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:59:16 pm by Rift »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:20:56 pm »

There's the spring engine
http://springrts.com/
I believe most of the games developed for the engine are open source in addition to the engine itself.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »

Cube 2:Sauerbraten is open source. Fast paced FPS with a potent map editor.
Just beware the spawncampers >_>

Hide n seek however is fun.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:26:56 pm »

In the same vein as Cube: 2, there's also Nexuiz classic. The new version will be aimed at the console market and closed source, but there's a fork under way, called Xonotic (these guys like weird names)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:42:11 pm »

I realise the title says good, but there is a mine-craft-alike called Mannic Digger. It's even public domain. Though, it's rather limited.
It looks like a decent starting point for a project though, since the tricky code is already dealt with.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:52:10 pm »

Incidently you just said "look at", i first assumed you ment "play", but did you actually mean learn from by reading code?

Yeah, learn from reading code.  Thanks guys, I'll look into a lot of these.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:09:00 pm »

Glest RTS

Stable cross platform multiplayer (up to 8 people) client MegaGlest.

More features than megaglest but lacks cross-platform multiplayer Glest Advanced Engine.

Custom maps and tilesets here.

Custom unit/factions here.

Tileset Karnigul
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tileset Meadow

Skirmish

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:17:59 pm by Trappin »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:46:01 pm »

Planeshift is still around, apparently. I haven't been back there in many years, but I occasionally hear news that it's chugging along, making... agonisingly slow progress. As ever. :) Before Valve Time, there was Planeshift's "soon".

It's a MMORPG with crafting and chat-based NPC interaction (e.g. typing your questions, rather than clicking menu buttons). Heavily RP-enforced, last I heard.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:57:49 pm »

Flightgear is a very good open source flying simulator, and it's in continuous development with community contributions to both code and content.
http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FlightGear

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 08:42:36 am »

WorldForge is an MMO engine in the works in the spirit of... I guess games like EverQuest? http://worldforgedev.org/ It's pretty fun, and I think at least part of it (I know some of the clients at least) is/are open source.

Regardless, I second the above suggestion of Sauerbraten -- that's a great game, and the code is great, too.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 11:25:48 am »

Damn guys, hahaha.  Thanks for all the good pointers.  I'll see what I can learn from all of these.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 05:22:09 pm »

WorldForge is an MMO engine in the works in the spirit of... I guess games like EverQuest? http://worldforgedev.org/ It's pretty fun, and I think at least part of it (I know some of the clients at least) is/are open source.

Regardless, I second the above suggestion of Sauerbraten -- that's a great game, and the code is great, too.

Wow. Interesting
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 07:30:46 am »

Freeciv is wonderful. Had great amount of fun with friends playing that game.
Found it much better than the actual civ games.

One complaint would be that games take an extreme amount of time to finish, so be in for the long haul.

P.s. Anyone consider that ziesha is a spambot? Only two posts. Both of which lacking any well content, grammar or sense.

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 12:34:04 pm »

I recently came across planeshift... Make yourself an opinion, not gonna say/spoil anything
------> Planeshift

@Catastrophic lolcats: Yeah Freeciv is awesome, and freecol too.