Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Channeled Water Carries Items  (Read 1306 times)

scjohnno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Channeled Water Carries Items
« on: December 26, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »

One idea I just had (which is nothing more than neat, not necessary) would be to allow channeled water to carry items along with it as it flows, kinda like how the seasonal floods push and pull dwarves caught in it. I realise that this probably would be a nightmare to code right now, so it's likely something for the future.

The reason I think it'd be a neat idea is the prospect of using a system of channels for hauling. You could dump stuff in a barrel/bin, then let it flow down the stream to wherever it leads. It'd help in managing a big fortress.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Channeled Water Carries Items
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:25:00 pm »

i think it does, just not how you mean.  the initial flood of water into a chanel seems to push items a little bit, sometimes.

I had some stuff littering a frequently used chanel, and i seem to remember it being pushed slowly "downstream" after several floods/antifloods.

of course, this might have been imagined.  and chanels certainly dont have any current once they are filled.  that part would probably introduce the most coding problems.

but i have to raise the larger issue, of why Dwarfs would use barges when they could use mining carts?  little rail tracks through the fortress, now THAT would be rad.

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 05:29:00 pm »

Or conveyor belts driven by water-wheels in the underground river.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 03:21:00 am »

Water will move thing sometimes, but rarely by much.

And much as I would dearly love a better way to move stuff around the fortress, a lot of that stuff seems more gnomish than dwarvish to me. Being a long time D&Der, gnomes are the ones for automation and gadgets, where dwarves are more reliant on themselves than on gadgets or other things. Altho in Arcanum, dwarves did invent the steam engine, but only used it for pumping water out of the mines.

Still, I think dwarves would likely use mule-pulled carts for moving stuff. They do when they first move to the site! But from the programmer's point of view, that would be a bitch to put in.

ho watches those that watch us???