Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does worldgen determine the outcome of battles/fights?  (Read 597 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does worldgen determine the outcome of battles/fights?
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:31:16 am »

I'm curious as to what actually wins wars in worldgen.

Considering the speed at which events during worldgen happen, I'm assuming a war or fight's outcome is generated by a simple formula, such as:

if (elf's army size * base elf power level) is greater than (dwarf army size * base dwarf power level)
elves win
else
elves lose

and then it generates (before or after, they both work) the casualties based on the difference between power levels (individual and overall).

As for individual fights, I'm assuming it'd be some sort of roll that involves size, damblock, strength, agility, toughness, and stuff like that.

Does anyone know the actual specifics?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does worldgen determine the outcome of battles/fights?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:37:03 am »

I don't know about the individual fights thing. I've seen elves take out dragons in duels one too many times.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:49:50 pm »

And likewise, I've seen the eighth duel of Urist Mcdwarf and Hummie Nonsensefail in legends, followed by Urist ripping apart the human into a billion pieces in one blow. If they were that close, he shouldn't be able to do that.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:12:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's a bit more complex than that... I've seen fights humans vs. elves, with the elves outnumbered and winning, and most where the humans were outnumbered but winning.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:39 pm »

It's done really crappily, at least for duels.  Legends is full of random kobolds ripping the toes off bronze colossuses and so forth.  It's getting reworked for the next version, at least enough to accommodate the new wounding system, so hopefully it won't suck as much then.