Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Off-Limits Zones  (Read 1812 times)

deathcon62

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Off-Limits Zones
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:19:08 pm »

I believe that another use for Zones should be added, particularly, a off-limits zone. The defenses in my current fortress are underground, which makes keeping my dwarfs away from the battle a little difficult. Now, my cousin keeps telling me to militarize the population and put them underground. But I have a dream, of a more productive and uninterupted work environment. If off-limits zones could somehow be marked impassable then the jobs would not even be assigned, ending my headache.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Off-Limits Zones
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:23:11 pm »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:23:52 pm »

You can designate an area to be forbidden already. Traffic designations of high, med, low, and forbidden. What it does is maxes out the 'cost' of stepping on those tiles when path finding is calculated. You can also just designate the entrances to an area as forbidden. I think it can cause some pathfinding lag.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:26:17 pm »

I think it can cause some pathfinding lag.

Quite.  As dwarves will attempt to find nearly ANY other possible path they can instead of using those tiles (12.5 normal weight tiles per tile of Restricted (it's not forbidden, it's restricted)).

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:10:21 am »

And it doesn't really restrict them anyway, if they have to path through to get where they wan't, they will.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

deathcon62

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:12:22 pm »

I was actually thinking more of a mechanism like the one where they cant go outside when you change the orders. I realize you can change the traffic orders to restricted, but if there is only one way out, they dont care how much it costs to get there.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:27:01 pm »

And it doesn't stop them from wanting to go and stand on a restricted tile.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »

I think the best way to handle this type of zone would be to simply make dwarves unable to pathfind through it, in the same way that they can't pathfind through a wall.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:06:01 pm »

Yeah, but then what happens if they need to perform a job inside that zone?

My guess is that, without further game modification, something similar to that indoor/outdoor dance. At best.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:29:02 pm »

How about they try path-finding without going through restricted, and if that doesn't work, path-find with going through restricted. Forbidden, they would be completely unable to go through. If the need to build something in there, it's just like trying to build something in a room without an entrance.

Setting the tiles to count as 12.5 might sound like a lot, but I recently let all of the animals out of my pit because going through the decoy door only counted as 12.5 tiles, but going the long way was more.