Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visible Emblems  (Read 2246 times)

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Visible Emblems
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:56:00 am »

Quite a small suggestion really. I'd like it if there was a way of finding out your group's emblem and civ's emblem in fortress mode.

If it was added to the civilisation screen it would be great. Your groups emblem could be mentioned in the embark screen.

I'd like this because I often do large mosaic's in important area's of my forts of these things. At the moment the only way I can find out is by waiting until I have done a lot of engraving (until a couple of identical pictures start showing up loads) and then save, backup, abandon and check in adventure mode before getting the save back and carrying on.
I'd just be a lot easier to know what they are the entire time (if it was made possible to choose your group's emblem in the same way you choose names etc that  would be brilliant).

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: Visible Emblems
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

I didn't even realize we had emblems...
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

I think this is a great idea, I was going to do the same thing (make a mosaic of my civ's emblem).

I'm not really sure where it would fit in, maybe a new fortress info screen (similar to stock, kitchen, etc) that listed stuff like that? I dunno. Embark screen would be OK but what if I forget, or don't think to check beforehand?

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:35:00 am »

Here is my fortress emblem:
:)
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

Is... is that a mosaic of Black Mage?

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

Yup... But before you ask, I didn't do it. I got it somewhere on the internet.  :p

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

I only found out we had fortress emblems once when I was playing in 23a and things were getting a little dull. I double engraved the walls on my main corridor and noticed that a picture of 2 pig tails was repeated loads (same name etc). I had a look in adventure mode and it said that it was the emblem for my fort's parent civ.

In 33 you get a fortress emblem and a civ emblem. I would like to be able to see them because I like making large mosaics and I think that these would be fitting. Also, its just another nice bit of information.

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

I'd also like more info from the embark screen. As in showing the name of the human/elf/goblin civs along with their names in the "within reach" list in the embark location system.  Showing the the civ emblem for each dwarf civ when selecting which dwarf civ the fort will be founded by.

Also a emblem generator like for the ones of fort name and founding party name.

I would also like a "engrave with civ/fort emblem" for engravers and "decorate with civ/fort emblem" option for workshops/forges.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

This would be nice. I approve.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

Me too. It would be nice to have some kind of "trademark engraving" for great items produced by your civilization/fortress.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

It would be neat if selling items with your fortress's emblem caused your fortress to become more widely known.  Maybe they wouldn't be as valuable as normally decorated things, and maybe your home civ wouldn't care a whole lot--but it could give your fortress a 'rep' in the wider world.

It might even be delayed a while, have a very long-term effect:  You trade your goods to other dwarves, they trade with humans, and some of your goods get passed along.  The humans decide they like your fortress's stuff, and ask where to find the source.  As your goods keep changing hands (long after leaving your fortress), your reputation expands.  This might also make it unwise to emblemize goods that are not masterwork quality. (Maybe way down the line, you could change your emblem without starting over your fort, just to make it clear that a new age has dawned? It would also make your 'discontinued' items more valuable...perhaps.)

Of course I think most things that involve some sort of craftsmanship reputation, or civ reputation, would be awesome.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>It would also make your 'discontinued' items more valuable...perhaps.</STRONG>

I see some serious exploiting with that.

Craft 30 socks with logo a in early spring, year 1. Spam logo a crap the first 5 years. Switch to logo b, sell that for 1 year and let it circulate a bit. Congrats, you now have enough(base quilty) socks to buy out the next 30 caravans.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

Don't Reebok or Adidas work like that?  :p

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>Don't Reebok or Adidas work like that?   :p</STRONG>

I was more thinking along the lines of MTG. First ed. cards worth 4 digits etc.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>I was more thinking along the lines of MTG. First ed. cards worth 4 digits etc.</STRONG>

Not all of them are worth 4 digits.  Only the ones that were over-powered (despite the fact that Magic today is more powerful than Magic 3 years ago--2 mana for a 2/2 was normal, now it's 2 mana for a 2/2 with an ability).