Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Heart destruction = instant death  (Read 2995 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heart destruction = instant death
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 03:34:14 pm »

The fact that aztec sacrifices could be shown their own hearts and still last long enough to be kicked down the stairs contradicts this fairly well. Those silly aztec priest.
If this is true it is because the heart was still connected to the body, not because you can stay conscious without any blood pressure.
After cutting a victims heart out atleast once a day they got very fast, and quite clearly blood pressure doesn't bottom out instantly, but by the part where they throw the victim down the stairs they were semiconscious or dead.
Hmm... I doubt there's much reliable evidence of those sacrifices, really. I mean, even if they had been documented to that detail either by the Aztecs themselves or the Spanish invaders, both definitely had motives for exaggeration.

But either way, when you outright destroy the heart or major arteries around it, yes, blood pressure does go down so fast it's near instant lights-out. Perhaps there is a possibility of staying conscious for couple seconds, but generally the combination of suddenly having no functioning heart and your largest arteries starting to gush blood outside your veins does take you out quite fast.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 07:29:35 pm »

I really don't see why this would be implemented.

As it is now; heart wounds are always fatal. I've yet to have a single dwarf survive being struck in the heart it has simply never happened! They take a short while to die but what does that matter?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I trailed off for a bit there. so I slapped a spoiler on it and there ya go.

The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 05:57:10 pm »

I really don't see why this would be implemented.

As it is now; heart wounds are always fatal. I've yet to have a single dwarf survive being struck in the heart it has simply never happened! They take a short while to die but what does that matter?

I trailed off for a bit there. so I slapped a spoiler on it and there ya go.

What about blue and yellow heart wounds? They are not fatal.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »

blue and yellow heart wounds are not the same as red.

as you can see blue is for brusing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 09:50:58 pm »

Heart function comepletely lost? Its obious! It needs to be made so stopped hearts are actually fatal or something.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 02:56:38 pm »

Heart function comepletely lost? Its obious! It needs to be made so stopped hearts are actually fatal or something.
They also need to make it harder to stop organs.
Pages: 1 [2]