Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glacial Civs  (Read 610 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glacial Civs
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:45:30 am »

A question: My current worldgen parameters heavily-favor lots of deserts and glaciers. So I've been trying to mod the elves to favor deserts and the goblins to favor deserts. However, no matter what I do I fail on both accounts. I added all desert biomes to the list of biomes tolerated by the elves, and I added glacial ones to the list of ones tolerated by the goblins. No luck.

Focusing on the goblins, I lowered there homeotherm token to 10000, and then they never /left/ glaciers (but still never built a dark fortress on one, only on the edges). So I put their homeotherm up to 1060 and increased their layering to 100 - but...now they just die off entirely.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I get elves to set their "tree cities" among the cacti of the deserts, and how can I get the goblins to build their dark fortresses on the ice of glaciers?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Glacial Civs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:47:14 am »

"Tree cities" may be "hardcoded" to highly forested areas.

I have norse in my mod with the same homeotherm as humans but with increased layering and they have no problem living in tundra, taiga and edges of glacier. However they never settle on glaciers and I expect that there's no material to build cities or any other hardcoded options. I am going to check it eventually.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glacial Civs
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 01:22:37 pm »

I think the problem is that the temperatures might be too high or low for the civs to expand to those places.
Perhaps you should try to create a similiar world and make a Fortress at a glacier or a desert? That way, you can see how your dwarves react to it.