Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: adding more detail  (Read 3616 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: adding more detail
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Telok:
<STRONG>I'd sort of like to be able to chasm some dwarves.

...Hold that thought. I just remembered my nobles.

I'd REALLY like to be able to chasm some dwarves. Especially if I could get something for them, even if it was just angry batmen.</STRONG>

The gods are angered by your sacrifice.
*all minions turn into chickens
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

As for the doctors, it'd be nice to be able to do something for all those one-eyed dwarves, like cauterizing (cauterizing?) the nerves or something. And wooden peglegs would be useful.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Oooh, personal sacrificing. That sounds fun. It would certainly give them more character. I just hope they don't take that tame dragon I worked so hard to get and kill it to some silly deity that isn't me.

On a side note...

DWARVES SHOULD WORSHIP THEIR PLAYERS!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Wouldn't it be awesome if the PRNG was an actual deity in the game, and offering sacrifices to it would reset the seed to a new value, such as the current time?</STRONG>

The Random Number God is fickle and spiteful.  Having made numberous sacrifices and made many a prayer to it in ADOM I never once got anything that helped my situation.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

I'd love to see dwarven doctors but I don't see any reason to make them nobles. Just add a "Doctors Office" workshop or make a new type of room (the infirmary) designatable from beds.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Awayfarer ]

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by herrbdog:
[QB]Dwarves seem more rational than humans or elves.QB]

you obviously havent seen the dwarves in my fortress then!  Also, anyone who requires alchohol to get thru the day is NOT a rational being, not matter how much I personally wish that wasnt the case.

as for no bad D&D god types, a big vote for that.  D&D has turned gods into something that serve the people instead of the other way around.......

back on topic:
i like the doctors idea.  Maybe even combat medics that can help soldiers currently fighting, ie some kinda triage.  herbalists can do more than find pretty flower bushes, and i like the idea of the alchemy shop deing useful.  but what if:  25% the doctor who shows up is actually some sorta snake-oil charlatan who instead kills off more dwarves than he helps.

priestly dwarves.....hmmmmmmmmmm...........can i sacrifice my kittens?  thanks to steve martin (that JERK :P) we cant JUGGLE them anymore!

seriously, i like the DR idea and hospital workshops.  maybe ER's for short term care and wards for long term.  And while we are on the subject.....nice padded rooms for the ones who go insane..........dwarf version of Bellevue or Arkam Asylum  (yeah, batman reference!)

ok rambling without point now so...

GMcG

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 01:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ookpik:
<STRONG>I'd like dwarven religion to be confusing and contradictory just like real-world religion is.  Sometimes the gods send signs and sometimes they don't, and even when they do, it's not always clear whom you've pleased and whom you've pissed off.  This kind of tension would suit the world well, and it won't create the "Quick!  Pray to Mars so your soldiers get better hit dice!" mentality that bugs me so much.</STRONG>

You need to play some Unreal World.  As far as I know there's only one Prayer which has a supernatural effect: the one that saves you from drowning.  All the others infer to the player that something happened, but it hasn't been confirmed that any other prayer has an actual game effect.

Wokeye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

I like both ideas.

Physicians would be also herbalists, and brew herbal remedies/poultices etc.

Priests would be nobles skilled in mediation etc and require a dedicated worshipping space and opulence (depending on the deity). Dwarf happiness could rely on 'prayed in nice altar' etc if they are god-fearing folk.  Presumably some gods/saints etc would be based on the world history (megabeasts, heroes).

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Wokeye ]

warf Fortress, BF2:PR and Dominions 3 Fanatic

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 04:06:00 am »

Or priests could simply be philosophers with demands and mandates, and that they also pretend to actually be useful.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

just dont let the dwarven priests near the dwarven children.......oh wait, was taht my outside voice?  :P

GMcG

(I apologize to the Catholics now........)

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

the sound nice but my opinion is for injured dwarfs let you set them to be buchered... as for temples and preists let them take dwarves out of foul moods and such...to be at least slightly useful
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

I want to toss my vote in for better dwarven healthcare.

A specific sick-bay/hospital/hopsice/whatever room would be nice, and it just makes bloody sense to have a health-care profession.

A dwarven doctor might not be able to sew severed limbs back on or anything, but they should be able to extract an embedded weapon automatically (if a farmer can yank the thing out once I unforbid it, a doctor/nurse can sure pull it out of their own volition!), or set/splint a broken limb (that's really remedial medicine, even prehistoric man may have done this by some accounts), apply liquor to a wound to sterilize it and speed recovery by preventing infection, or otherwise make primitive but potentially significant impacts on the healing process, obviously with a chance to help depending on their skill (I'd say with a chance to harm as well, but the healing process is already fairly brutal so if that would be implemented it should hopefully be to a minor degree for the sake of balance only if needed).

Their job task would be their "rounds", they'd loiter in the hospital and perform checks for any of their doctorly tasks that might be needed by the patients. Ideally I think they would bring water and food no more often than any other dwarf currently does, so they're not too busy fetching sustenance for bruised Udib to pull the spear out of Urist's lung.

I think this would fit quite acceptably into the spirit of the game. Dwarves may be in an ambiguously middle-ages level of development but civilized (and even pre-civilized) societies have always known how to do -something- about a wound even before they knew squat about the science surrounding it. The primitive treatments for many common injuries or ailments were often more effective than a modern observer might guess them to be, too.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 04:11:00 am »

Lots of people have boosted for dwarven healthcare, it seems a core problem with fortresses at the moment, the sick not being healed.

Just to expand the sacrificial pool idea again:
How about recycling artifiacts? Sucky artifacts can be donated back to the gods... and the player can be rewarded with a random possession or fell dwarf. xD

And sacrificing kittens sounds like an awesome idea, it should attract tigers or lions or something. I loved Dungeon Keeper.

Pages: 1 [2]