Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor stockpile improvments and easier profile viewing  (Read 541 times)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minor stockpile improvments and easier profile viewing
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:41:44 pm »

Sometimes I need to make a stock pile that isn't a perfect rectangle, without making several sections of it and cluttering the place up. Currently the only way to do this is make a rectangle large enough to encompass the entire area, the remove the excess. Not only is this inefficient, it tends to overwrite other stockpiles nearby. It would be nice if there was an option to e(x)tend a stockpile through the set building tasks (q) menu when you highlight a stock pile. Basically you'd just be adding to the selected stockpile.

Also, if I make a furniture stockpile that only accepts mechanisms it'd make sense for it to appear as a "mechanism" stockpile. This is very minor though.

Finding skilled candidates for a job based on a dwarf's favored items and materials, and browsing your dwarf's thoughts is a pretty manual task. I think it'd be nice if there was a thoughts/personality traits menu, where you could browse any thoughts/traits/favored items your dwarves have and see which ones have it, all in one list and without the need to manually check every single dwarf.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Minor stockpile improvments and easier profile viewing
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:02:39 pm »

As for the stockpile idea I agree, it would be nice to be able to expand on multiple z-levels also.

As an addition to your usefully named stockpiles idea how about being able to add custom names to them instead, "brewers barrels" "Planter's stock" "Smelter stock" "kitten leather" etc.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:26:37 pm »

Oh definitely. I never use the "rooms" menu because everything on it is ambiguous. I'll often have several furniture stockpiles or something similar and not be able to tell them apart.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:06:38 am »

Stockpiles could use a good bit of work, but custom names would be a good start.

As for thoughts and prefs, i don't think they affect much yet except noble mandates, but a better interface in this area would be nice.

Also: i never use the "r" menu, if i need to find a room i just "q" throught the fort
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:47:32 am »

For irregular shapes, the bedroom system would be great. Also, that leaves the floor tiles visible instead of making them generic grey, which is much prettier and still allows people to tile over orthoclase if yellow offends them.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.