Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worship  (Read 1005 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worship
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:40:23 am »

This is probably something that will be covered when Toady gets to Bloat344, or perhaps the Ghosts Arc, but....

I've noticed that demons can get worshippers long after the demon in question is dead. And the demon's information is clearly saved by the game in the legends screen. Since I've used dwarf companion (I think) to bring back things from the dead before, I know it can't be a terribly hard leap to do what I'm about to propose:

Why would a demon (or any power) want worshippers? Well, when Toady gets to religion perhaps it'll do all sorts of fun things. But you know what would be cool for now? If a demon who had enough followers come to his worship after he died could get a free ressurection at his civ capital.  That would be interesting for world ages too.

So suppose I make a small world and it goes like this:

The Age of Demon and Dragon
The age of <Demon Name>
The Golden Age
The Twilight Age
The Second Age of <Demon Name>: The time when the demon (such and such) once again was the only power in the world.

I just think it'd be cool. I mean, I've seen [POWER] entities get over 50 worshippers over the next century after they die - within their original faith. I've seen (what appear to be, at least) entire religions spring up in other civilizations around dead powers. It stands to reason that some demon worshipped by half the world ought to get something for it, even if its dead, and I suspect arranging for a ressurection in history-gen based on a certain number of followers aquired would be a simple task.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:59:54 am by lastofthelight »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worship
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:57:40 am »

I believe it has been speculated before that demons and such will be getting an overhaul, and hopefully become more cooler than they are now.

What WANT though is a more fleshing out of religions. I'm not big dev note nerd, and perhaps it's been mentioned somewhere, but i want religions to be a much more dominant force over the behavior of civilization.

What I mean by this is, as it stands, everyone just spins the "wheel of deities" and gets to worship one at random, and that particular religion has no effect on that individual whatsoever. They never pray or carve they're personality after their god. Every god is just part of a random pagan tossup and doesn't really represent anything.

Gods, or perhaps, religions, in real life represent sets of morals and beliefs. It would be awesome if religions had the power to influence a race's ETHICS. Elves who worshipped a god that symbolized certain things like open-mindedness and metal might convince those elves to not be angry at tree murder and wear metal armor. Goblins that worshipped a god of pacifism and peaceful solutions might not be angry or aggressive towards everyone.

Even better, their can be inquisitions and holy wars depending an what is the most dominant religion. That would be AWESOME.

Doomduckie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:17:07 am »

Personally I just want pantheons to work right as a simple starting fact- people didn't worship only Zeus or only Mercury or only Ra. They instead worshipped every god depending upon what they were praying for- Neptune for the sea, Mercury for medicine, etc.

The current DF model is the Dungeons and Dragons model where every god in a pantheon has devoted monotheistic worshippers who don't interact at all with other gods in the same pantheon. Priests work like that... sometimes... but people in polytheistic societies don't.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:54:29 am »

I'm pretty sure I've seen people worshipping multiple gods at different 'levels' of devotion in the legend screens already. Admittedly, I had to dig around to find it (I've been exploring religion, civilization, and Legends all day in general today.) At least, I've seen one person with many different gods listed, described as a 'casual worshipper' or a serious worshipper, or whatever.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:35:00 am »

What WANT though is a more fleshing out of religions. I'm not big dev note nerd, and perhaps it's been mentioned somewhere, but i want religions to be a much more dominant force over the behavior of civilization

Don't worry not only have Religions been stated to become much more interesting with their own practises. But they will gain autonomy eventually being able to act for or against their own civilizations.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:38:57 pm »

Gods, or perhaps, religions, in real life represent sets of morals and beliefs. It would be awesome if religions had the power to influence a race's ETHICS

It's the other way around