Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots and Lots of Megabeasts!  (Read 1835 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Lots and Lots of Megabeasts!
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:33:08 am »

So, I've got a mostly-working and very nice megainstall through the magic of modbase and the occasional manual hack.  But there's one problem - with so many civs with such varied biome requirements, my world is usually crawling with civs - and as a result, by 250, 99% of the time EVERY megabeast is dead.  Is there a setting somewhere to make more megabeasts and thus avoid this terrible fate?  And if not, any suggestions on making my megabeasts more survivable or, well, just making a lot more of them?  (Barring the "Megabeast civ" solution, which causes its own problems - 20 Black Dragon Wrestler Recruits, I'm looking at you)
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lots and Lots of Megabeasts!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:45:16 am »

Give megabeasts size 200 or something.  You'll need to re-gen, I think...
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:01:03 am »

In the raws, i believe there is an option in the megabeasts file. You simply change the number, and moremegabeasts are made at world gen

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:37:53 am »

Which "megabeasts" file?  There is no given megabeast file.  There's creature_standard, where most megabeasts are found, but the only thing there even partially related is the FREQUENCY number, and I tried that.  And doubling their damblock/size.  Among other things.  I still only get 20 megabeasts on a medium-sized map, no matter what I do.  And 20 just isn't enough unless I make them literally immortal.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:21:35 am »

Which "megabeasts" file?  There is no given megabeast file.  There's creature_standard, where most megabeasts are found, but the only thing there even partially related is the FREQUENCY number, and I tried that.  And doubling their damblock/size.  Among other things.  I still only get 20 megabeasts on a medium-sized map, no matter what I do.  And 20 just isn't enough unless I make them literally immortal.

There is no way to change the number of megabeasts right now, IIRC at least.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:31:52 am »

Give megabeasts size 200 or something.  You'll need to re-gen, I think...

DO NOT DO THIS
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 12:16:43 pm »

Don't increase frequency.  Increase cluster size.  Then, when megabeasts attack towns in world-gen, it won't be one hydra who chokes on someone's arm and dies.  It will be a pack of six dragons or a warband of 12 titans or whatever.  This makes it much more challenging for adventurers because the creatures all live in the same cave, and so when you have a mission for one, you frequently end up dealing with several.  Making sure they all have the [CAN_LEARN] tag also helps the ones that do survive be stupendously effective.  Have fun.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:27:32 pm »

The best workaround to this I've seen is SLIGHTLY INCREASING size like to 30, and then modding megabeast bodies to have more parts... like actual dragons. There was an excellent post on this before in modding.

If you want megabeasts to last longer, when you gen worlds triple the amount of caves and mountain caves, it gives megabeasts more places to hide in worldgen so they aren't always tripping over civs and getting killed. World gen a shorter time as well - 300 years is good you'll have a good number of megabeasts with those done.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 02:30:05 pm »

Or you can drastically increase size, then drop it back down to something more reasonable after world generation.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 03:08:42 pm »

I tried increasing cluster size, but they don't seem to actually have cluster sizes in the raws (so far as I can see) so I had to add it in there, but when I did it didn't seem to have much effect.  I guess I can try it again, it would be fun to see.

EDIT:  Found a good way to do it!  Adding [SEMIMEGABEAST] doesn't overwrite MEGABEAST (so you still get Megabeast dragons) but adds dragons to the semimegabeast list, which means they'll spawn in caves as semimegabeasts if there's more open caves.  It made such a huge difference, I had to half the number of caves to get my civs to survive the relentless hordes.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:42:06 pm by Thuellai »

~LegacyCWAL

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 10:22:41 am »

I was reading through this old thread - if this last statement is true than the dwarfwiki is wrong. It says that [MEGABEAST] implies [SEMIMEGABEAST].

Bobokapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 04:33:09 pm »

Any change in a creature_ file doesn't require a regen
so feel free to drastically overpower for world gen, then change back, if you get too many from semimegabeast

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 02:37:08 pm »

I tried increasing cluster size, but they don't seem to actually have cluster sizes in the raws (so far as I can see) so I had to add it in there, but when I did it didn't seem to have much effect.  I guess I can try it again, it would be fun to see.

EDIT:  Found a good way to do it!  Adding [SEMIMEGABEAST] doesn't overwrite MEGABEAST (so you still get Megabeast dragons) but adds dragons to the semimegabeast list, which means they'll spawn in caves as semimegabeasts if there's more open caves.  It made such a huge difference, I had to half the number of caves to get my civs to survive the relentless hordes.

Haha, holy carp! Don't make a world with maximum amounts of caves and do this... I did the first time 'round.