Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Special weaknesses / strengths.  (Read 3264 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Special weaknesses / strengths.
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 11:01:55 am »

It's just a random example, scale.  That specific weakness is not being suggested.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 11:15:24 am »

Guys, you have to understand, hit points are out.  "Damage points" are out.  You can't have "negative damage" in order to "heal" because there is no numerical value for health, at all, anymore.

The way Toady's new combat system works is that it applies force to the given materials (using a different calculation for bludgeoning/piercing/slashing in terms of force distribution), checks to see if it reaches certain thresholds, and then applies a "wound" or a "damage" to the object in a completely binary fashion-- either the wound exists, or it doesn't.  Certain wounds apply penalties... paper cuts may be distracting, for instance, while breaks will disable use of the organ, and disabling certain organs will lead to death.

Healing is then caused by transforming the wound into a scar, which may still provide a penalty (such as hurting during rainstorms), or may just be cosmetic.

That's why amplifying "damage" doesn't make any sense, and that's why "negative" damage makes even less sense.

That's why we've been talking about materials as poisons, and trying to come up with ideas as to how certain things are more or less effective against other things.  Because that's already handled.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:17:47 am by Fieari »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 11:30:21 am »

And the force can't be amplified by a creature-specific weakness . . . why?  There's this whole idea of magical resistance and weakness that people like, and it just might be able to go in without the rest of the magic arc (by not requiring actual magic).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:31:58 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 11:52:14 am »

And the force can't be amplified by a creature-specific weakness . . . why?  There's this whole idea of magical resistance and weakness that people like, and it just might be able to go in without the rest of the magic arc (by not requiring actual magic).

Creature-specific weaknesses (as distinct from just creature-specific poisons) aren't necessarily a bad idea, but the new system means that those kinds of effects have to use more specific mechanisms.  So instead of "silver does more damage to werewolves," it would be something like "werewolf tissue dissipates the momentum of a weapon's silver components only half as effectively as usual, causing silver weapons to generally cut more deeply or deal greater blunt trauma." 

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 12:50:24 pm »

Creature-specific weaknesses (as distinct from just creature-specific poisons) aren't necessarily a bad idea, but the new system means that those kinds of effects have to use more specific mechanisms.  So instead of "silver does more damage to werewolves," it would be something like "werewolf tissue dissipates the momentum of a weapon's silver components only half as effectively as usual, causing silver weapons to generally cut more deeply or deal greater blunt trauma." 

For the werewolf case, it's probably more in line with the tradition to give werewolves very fast healing (including regrowth of limbs, if needed), except of wounds that were inflicted using silver.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 04:04:29 pm »

Or treat it as a toxin that causes something similar to burn wounds, for that matter (as a sort of contact reaction).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 [3]