Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen: Memory Friendly  (Read 966 times)

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Gen: Memory Friendly
« on: January 01, 2009, 05:08:17 pm »

Suggestion: Find a way to save/offload/clear memory cache during world generation to allow for a higher population cap in worlds.  Conversely, raise the population cap in advanced parameters so that players can gen worlds to the limit of their machines capacity.
When I try to generate a world with population cap off I often get the Impoverished Word Selector crash.  Now, I know I can always keep the cap on, but I find it limits the extent of civilization expansion, especially in large worlds.
I most often get the crash when I have a difference of 60,000 or more units between alive/dead figures.  So if the memory configuration isn't practical, increasing the population cap would be great, as I could set it to about 40K, allowing my civilizations to expand more, so they can find more people to do war upon.

Edit That: My Pop difference between dead/alive crashes out at a difference of 150K, with 2.2 million events.  Culling is turned on.
So ya, the ability to set a higher population cap would make a very big difference as compared to only 20K.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:51:21 pm by Kardos »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen: Memory Friendly
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:52:50 pm »

It could be a step towards much larger worlds.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:48:05 am »

Currently all dead and alive beings are hold in the memory as long the Worldgen goes. We have now 2 Groups one of it doesnt need to be the entire time of the Gen in the RAM - I speak naturally from the dead.

Toady could say all 100 years in worldgen load of the dead into an file on the HDD. This way the poplation of dead in the ram can be hold very low This leaving more capacity for the lifing.

I am not sure if this is possible or if all creatures are needed to any time.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:53:20 am »

Hm, well, 2 gigs of memory and a 1.8 dual core processor handles everything just fine. But I can see why older systems would need that.
I figured demons came from the 50 or so years of inbreeding between the things, like some weird goblin evolution.
I now have justification for genocide. Thank you.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 01:30:09 am »

Well, when you use the legendary lands mod and you have over 150,000 living figures, and often over 250,000 total figures by year 200~300 (on large maps), quite a big chunk of memory is needed.  Another thing that's probably held in memory for the duration of world gen are events.  I can easily go over 2 million events depending on what the gen civs are doing, and I'm unsure of how those are handled.  That is, assuming DF doesn't crash from the load before I get there.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:49:24 am »

If toady did use unsigned int Variables for counting creatures and events (and giving IDs) you could go up to 4.294.967.295 Creatures/events before you encounter problems given that you have infinite RAM.

At Int64 it would be 18.446.744.073.709.551.615 and with Int128 ≈ 3,40282·1038 Events or creatures.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.