Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Play any race as an adventurer  (Read 712 times)

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
Play any race as an adventurer
« on: December 31, 2008, 05:37:59 pm »

I had a fey mood and produced a flawed artefact. It's a utility which takes all races and makes them playable in adventure mode. It's written in Python, so one requires Python to be installed. It can be placed anywhere in your Dwarf Fortress directory, maybe in a utilities subdirectory. This should be compatible with any mod that follows naming conventions of the raw files.

It's rather incomplete and flawed at the moment, but I'll be improving it. I'm going to prevent the aquatic, vermin, and immobile creatures from being enabled as adventurers, being no fun to play. I'll also be rewriting parts of the code that can be considered quite sloppy. Meanwhile, have fun playing as monarch butterflies and whales.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=771

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Play any race as an adventurer
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:06:21 am »

Good.

Now figure out if you can make a script that updates saves/raws to the flesh-layers version. (Raws mentioned because that'll make mods portable.)

I partly kid, it'd be cool if you figured it out though.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:25:09 pm »

Wouldn't this completely spam out the Adventurer list?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:05:28 pm »

Yes. But I think it can only be as bad as Elona's list when everything is enabled, except that you can actually create your own creatures. I rather like popping into the world as a creature that may or may not exist in the world already without needing to manually enable every creature that I might want to play as, which is why I wrote this script.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 10:00:48 pm »

Updated version:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=771

The script functions rather better now. Aquatic, land-immobile, and vermin creatures are now culled before the adventurer entities are created. Also, the results from the file generated by this script are not considered when creating new entities, so it can be run again and again when the raws change and it should behave nicely.

Also, for anyone who knows Python, perhaps one might find some parts of the script to be rather useful in general manipulation of raws.