Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obtaining world seeds... *!!problem SOLVED!!*  (Read 741 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obtaining world seeds... *!!problem SOLVED!!*
« on: December 31, 2008, 08:59:51 pm »

I'm scouring the wikis for this sort of information, for a really good reason. I found a site perfect for some tests I want to do, but I um.. I accidently f***'ed up the area. I know that if I get the seed I can create the area infinitely with world genning, so the information of how to do so would be much appreciated. It was from a 'Create new world now!' and not a special param one, if that makes a difference.

WOOOOOOOO!!! FOUND THE WAY TO DO IT! Forgot about the legends mode export!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 01:11:51 am by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining world seeds...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:07:58 pm »

You should have a file in the root directory of DF called something like <name>-param-region#-<num1>-<num2>.txt, where <name> is your translated fort name, <num1> is an integer, and <num2> is an integer. It contains everything you need to gen the world.

I'm not sure if this will work since you created a world now, but try creating a world with parameters. IME, it saves the seeds that were used.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining world seeds...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

I have located the region files, but all the saves and such are stored as .sav (according to windows) and my computer has no way of running these apparently.  :'(.

Ah, forgot to type up a question. Is there any way short of time traveling and stealing my copy of df from  the past that will get this seed for me?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:30:23 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining world seeds... *!!problem not solved!!*
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:26:13 am »

If you still have the region folder, you can make a copy, abandon your fortress to look into legends mode, and there should be an option that says 'export map and gen info' or something along those lines. I believe the p key is the hotkey for that.

Once you do that, there will be a text file in your main DF directory that should say 'reg-1-world-gen-info' or something along those lines. If it's a "Create a world now!", then you should only need the world gen seed, the history seed, and the naming seed in order to recreate the world. Remember to set the size to medium when you regen.

D'oh, nevermind.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.