Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Conquest in adventure mode  (Read 1107 times)

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Conquest in adventure mode
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

I was thinking, it would be cool to be able to conquer other civs in adventure mode.  You'd have to kill the mayor, all the guards, and all the armed NPC's in a town and then you'd have the option of claiming the town for any of the other existing civilizations, or yourself.  Once you choose, NPC's from that civ are dispatched in a migrant party and when they arrive, the town switches to the new civ and gets a new mayor, guards, and some armed NPC's of the new civ's race, maybe even throw in a few peasants and children.  If you kill the Lord of a civ, then you can conquer the whole civ at once.  If you don't choose a civ, and conquer the town for yourself, then you don't get a new mayor, or any new NPC's at all.  However, you can then take all of the items in the shops without paying for them, but you can't sell anything there (why would you need to?  You can just take their money -- not that it would be that much use -- the civ hates you now so you can't use their money to buy stuff in their other towns, all you can do is sell the currency in a friendly civ).  Maybe conquering towns for a civ wins you fame points too, making it easier to recruit elites and Lords for further conquest.

A system like this would require that mayors and Lords have between 3-4 guards that stay next to them at all times (bodyguards).  This would make it harder to kill them.

Currently, pillaging a town can be tricky (especially if some of the guards have bows and xbows), but it SHOULD be a challenge, especially with a conquest system in place where you can get some rewards for it.

Imagine conquering the entire world and then trading with your new mega-empire in fortress mode, and seeing your retired adventure mode PC as a noble or somesuch in that empire (or maybe even the leader).

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

I think this sort of thing is included in the army stuff.

I do think that it would be cool to have your old adventurer as a civ leader though.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest in adventure mode
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

Ah, wasn't sure.  It makes sense to include it with armies, but I have no idea how they're going to implement them.  I can't wait to find out.  I have visions of huge wars raging across the land with my character manipulating them for his own benefit.