Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Self-powered pumps  (Read 1034 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Self-powered pumps
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:02:30 pm »

I recently tried a waterwheel->pumps to depressurize water from an underground ri'er to get it to my well, and it worked one time but not another...tips?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and so on, water coming from two le'els up compared to this le'el from the south, works- the pump system acti'ates and BWOOSHes the water to the other side, and it gets all the way past the crater to the tree farm and well, and doesn't o'erflow there.

IT won't flow into the (to-be) DM's tomb (which is engra'ed but I left that out) and muddy it until the out side is completely filled to the fullest extent of the tree farm, etc.

Now, I figure I don't want it to muddy it up, and I want to be able to get in there, so I try the following, replacing the furthest pump with a wall: (I don't want to wall o'er the smoothed gem cluster, so I ha'e to take wall farther out)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and the wheel ne'er acti'ates and nothing gets pumped. Any idea why?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Self-powered pumps
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 06:27:26 pm »

Pumps don't care what the pressure was before, they just always pump their level full. They can't make the water overflow from their level..
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Pump

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:05:57 pm »

I know that- that's the point of the setup, it makes the well not fountain and flood fortress some 150 map squares away.

The question is, why does setup 1 acti'ate the wheel->pumps, getting water through, and setup 2 not? Does the new wall turn it into "not-flowing" before the pumps can get the water out of the way?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:08:57 pm »

So wait, is there water currently IN the channel you made with ramps leading to the pumps?

Because that'd prevent FLOW which is what spins water wheels, not just water.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 09:41:31 pm »

Whole system starts dry in both cases, I channel out some tiles far away to let the water start coming from the south (and two le'els up or so).

The ramps are just so I had a channel my dorfs could escape when they were making it.

System 1 activates the wheel.

System 2 does not. It just fills the left side with water, on the level below (just those ramps' "up-ramp" corresponding squares) and this one.

I'd be guessing that the wall being 1 square closer stops the FLOW-ness of the water before the water under the wheel gets to 4/7...but that doesn't make much sense since the water can still get to the square under the new wall, and it doesn't get up to the level of the pump in situation 1 when the wheel activates...
Tilesets

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:16:21 am »

Dorftekniks Self-Powered-Power-Plant, Mk-01
Code: [Select]
fig.1   fig.2   fig.3
░░░░░░  ++++++   
░╔╦═╗░  +╔══╗+   ++++
░╠╣≈║░  +║+▀║+   ++++
░╠╣≈║░  +║%█☼═   ++++
░╠╝≈║░  +║%▄║+   ++#+ <- top up with water from time to time.
░║≈≈║░  +║#~║+   ++#+
░╚══╝░  +╚══╝+   ++++
░░░░░░  ++++++
Can be lengthened if higher power-output is required.

edit: No, I wasn't paying attention actually. I just found this neat ASCII table on wiki and wanted to use it to draw something.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:08:04 am by Cajoes »
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:23:45 am »

I guess topic is a tad misleading- it's a depressurizer powered by the flow it's depressurizing.
Tilesets