Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mark items for trade via [k]  (Read 1769 times)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Mark items for trade via [k]
« on: December 22, 2008, 07:22:49 pm »

Well, I ain't sure if this has been suggested before though I did search a bit before the results overwhelmed me.

The suggestion is this: It'd be neat to be able to mark your goods for trade the same way you mark them for dumping/forbid/reclaim. Obviously, this option should only be available when the caravan arrives. Despite trying to make stockpiling as efficient as possible sometimes you want items from a certain stockpile to be moved and it's a pain to have to go in and out of the move goods screen to check that you're taking stuff from the right stockpiles. [v]iewing each bin in the move goods screen to check that you have the right bin with the right goods from the right stockpile when you already know where they are visually is very time consuming when you should be able to just go to the stockpile in question and mark them all for trading.

Good idea? Bad idea?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mark items for trade via [k]
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:28:34 pm »

On the suggestions list under "Persistent trade good tags", with thread.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:53:02 pm »

Ah, I see it now. Cheers!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:25:16 am »

Could pose problems when you have more than one trade depot -- how does the game figure out which depot the items should be moved to?  Perhaps you could have a special key in the trade depot interface that would select all tagged items to be moved to that depot.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 01:56:03 am »

I've never had multiple depots... Why would you want to?

The only reason I'd be able to see would be having one facing each corner of the map, to get your traders inside faster and lock them in against sieges.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 02:25:20 am »

I've never had multiple depots... Why would you want to?

The only reason I'd be able to see would be having one facing each corner of the map, to get your traders inside faster and lock them in against sieges.

That, or fortress symmetry or something.  Anyway, there are lots of entries in the bug list concerning multiple depots, so it's clearly a situation that comes up sometimes and needs to be considered.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 02:35:13 am »

I suppose the closest Depot would get it. To be fair, Depots are rather... odd.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 08:28:08 am »

I would prefer the trade depot to be replaced with the merchants meeting in the relevant office or a meeting hall/marketplace, and making a tour along all stockpiles with items marked for trade. Makes more sense.

The same marketplace could accomodate a stream of individual traders who arrive on the map, roll out their mats there, trade with individual dwarves and leave for the next settlement.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 07:40:20 pm »

I've tried the multiple depot thing before.  It really doesn't work.  The traders kind of pick one and go that way, but this was a while back, 38c I think.