Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Invading adventurers  (Read 6748 times)

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Invading adventurers
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 04:26:38 am »

Quest: Locate artifact crystal totem.

You find it, only to realise in horror that Ier Evil, your loyal companion, backstabs you!

The idea is cool.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 07:30:20 am »

I'm sure that having siegers learn your defenses and take steps to counter them in future attacks has been suggested, but I thought a specific implementation could be counts of how many died and in what way.  So it would not just count deaths, but count deaths by way of:  melee combat; ranged combat; siege engine fire; kill-traps; cage traps; falling or other bridge-related actions; drowning; and burning by magma.  Then the next time, bring along some sort of counter to that defense.

For instance, if a lot of attackers are lost to traps, they might eventually start herding cannon fodder into them to set them off without "real" losses.  If a lot of attackers fell to Marksdwarves in a few sieges, they could bring along catapults that would fire projectiles that could splash through fortifications, or marksgoblins with Pavises.  If a lot of attackers drowned, they might bring an amphibious unit that could destroy underwater buildings.  And if there's a trend of attackers being chopped up by axedwarves, a few adventurers in =steel plate mail= would work them over but good.

Excellent ideas.  Also, the game could use civ-specific "traffic designations" so that invaders could try to avoid spots where their comrades died to traps earlier.

Excellent ideas or not, I am not sure that it's possible to create an advanced AI like that. Toady is a magician, so maybe he could code in an AI like that, but to be honest, I will be very happy if we gonna have a "working" tunneler system even.  :)

I imagine adventurers of all people would know how to find and disable traps. Or at least have trap avoid

I don't think anything will ever be able to fight a drowning chamber, atom smasher or a sheer 15 z level drop below a disappearing bridge without outright cheating itself

Yeah, they should be able to spot/disable traps, if they have the "appropriate" unit in their party...but yeah, like I've said [+ you too], it would be still very easy to kill them all. I fear that this adventurer feature would turn into an "item farming" event.  :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:39:20 am by Tormy »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 09:06:05 am »

however, does this also mean that with the new world mechanics, you'll be competing against other adventurers for missions?
Competition is what makes a game a game! That's what the great game designer Chris Crawford said :P I would relish competing with other adventurers for missions!

With the system Toady has in place, though, I'm pretty sure there won't be that much competition - many of the other adventurers will be dead.. killed by champion marksdwarves or so.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 09:56:12 am »

Competition is what makes a game a game!

Remember kids, if you can't compete in things that matter in real life, you can always go on the Internet to "pwn sum nubz" and pretend you're not a sack of excrement!

Competing with people is boring enough, let alone if you're competing with a bot

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2009, 12:14:10 pm »

Yeah, they should be able to spot/disable traps, if they have the "appropriate" unit in their party...but yeah, like I've said [+ you too], it would be still very easy to kill them all. I fear that this adventurer feature would turn into an "item farming" event.  :D

Rather than spotting and disarming traps specifically, they should spot and dismantle any mechanisms. It may be hard for the AI to identify a trap that isn't labeled such by the game, but it's reasonable for any adventurer with half a brain to assume anything in a dwarf fortress with a mechanism built into it isn't gonna want to be friends.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2009, 12:33:21 pm »

Which then leads to players making a reverse trap, disabling the mechanism flooding the room or the like via a computer mechanism elsewhere

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2009, 03:17:45 pm »

If someone puts that much work into their traps, they deserve an  impenetrable fortress.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2009, 03:18:40 pm »

If someone puts that much work into their traps, they deserve an  impenetrable fortress.

Except for the... you know... siege engines... wall destroying abilities... and all that :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]