Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A save game problem  (Read 543 times)

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A save game problem
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:46:19 am »

I didnt know were to put this as it isnt a bug with the game but what seems to be a clash with vista and df, it goes as follows

since upgrading to vista dwarven fortress has given me hell.

I went into my dwarf fortress folder and deleted all my files then copied and pasted only the downloaded save file(part of a community game) in, but when I open dwarf fortress the saved files are exactly the same as I had before I deleted. its really giving me hell.

anyone else encountered this problem?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: A save game problem
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 01:41:32 pm »

Get DF out of Program Files.
Vista dislikes people messing with stuff in that folder.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:06:06 am »

If DF is installed in Program Files/Dwarf Fortress, you may find files of interest in

C:\Users\(your-username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress\

..."ordinary" users don't get to write files in the real /Program Files/, so when DF tries to write files when you're an ordinary user, they get written in /Users/ instead.  You could move everything in the Dwarf Fortress/data/ directory into that place, if you like.

Or, as mentioned, you could install DF somewhere outside of Program Files, or you could run DF as administrator (with the right-click menu, but you'd have to do that every single time).

In the name of exhaustively listing options, I believe you may also be able to change the permissions on the data directory (right-click, properties, security) but I'm not sure exactly how many security changes you need there, so I'll mention it without actually walking you through it. :)

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:08:20 am »

thanks for the help guys, that fixed it

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:18:09 pm »

This should be stickied. Or a note to this extent on the download page. Or maybe in DF's readme... Somewhere...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch