Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wildlife  (Read 1509 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wildlife
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

I think it would be interesting if on world generation wildlife was randomly restricted to certain areas. I know we already have biomes to do this; but I was thinking more along the lines of divergent evolution. So you might have kangaroos in one area, but not in another area with a similar biome.

I love the little things in this game. I think adding more would just add to the fun. I think more uses for animal parts would be great. Like feathers/horn/ivory/fur.

This is an elephant ivory flask, it is adorned with peafowl feathers and menaces with spikes of moose antler      :)

[ December 31, 2007: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

I think they already have ivory.

So you want animals to be in certain parts of the world, depending on evolution rather than biome...like penguins on one side of the world and polar bears on another, even though they are both glacier?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I think they already have ivory.

So you want animals to be in certain parts of the world, depending on evolution rather than biome...like penguins on one side of the world and polar bears on another, even though they are both glacier?</STRONG>

There is an ivory and horn tag, but I don't think they do anything yet.

And yes that is what I want. There are places on earth that have very similar climates but very different wildlife. I think it would be an interesting addition to the game, so that no two glacial areas are the same  ;)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »

I find ivory horns and stuff at ancient ruins.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

Perhaps this can be seen as the good/evil peaceful/savage axisi? I.E., the North Pole is a savage glacier and Antarctica is a peaceful glacier.

P.S. Some plans for contiginecy in case the north pole melts entirely in the next summer is to move some Polar Bears to the south pole, so the difference might not remain true...

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

Seconded.

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>P.S. Some plans for contiginecy in case the north pole melts entirely in the next summer is to move some Polar Bears to the south pole, so the difference might not remain true...</STRONG>

Now THAT would mess up the ecosystem. I really hope they don't do that, or (many) penguins will be but a memory. This is NOT a good idea. [/political of topic rant]
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...