Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping Left Hand Items  (Read 776 times)

Honsoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dropping Left Hand Items
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:35:34 am »

I'm having a bit of an issue here;

After a bit of forum searching I found out why my champions weren't practicing with the crossbow: they both had items in their left hands. I was able to clear some of the items by designating them to be dumped, however one champion is holding a robe... owned by the other champion. As the robe is owned, it appears to be immune to being forbidden/dumped.

Is there any way to get an owned item out of his left hand? (other than waiting for the robe to rot) The only idea I currently have is to set them to wrestle and hope for a successful disarm. Though wouldn't that move the robe into the the other champion's hand?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping Left Hand Items
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:46:57 am »

I'm having a bit of an issue here;

After a bit of forum searching I found out why my champions weren't practicing with the crossbow: they both had items in their left hands. I was able to clear some of the items by designating them to be dumped, however one champion is holding a robe... owned by the other champion. As the robe is owned, it appears to be immune to being forbidden/dumped.

Is there any way to get an owned item out of his left hand? (other than waiting for the robe to rot) The only idea I currently have is to set them to wrestle and hope for a successful disarm. Though wouldn't that move the robe into the the other champion's hand?

Easy, throw the offending champion into a magma chamber, then fill the magma chamber with magma.

There! he's not holding the robe anymore!

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:05:58 am »

If your champion is holding a robe in his hand shouldn't that mean that he would attack with it? So why don't you train him up on wrestling and let him club the enemies to death with it?

Sounds much more fun than making him let go. ;-)

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:45:04 pm »

you can do it a few ways, and none of them work very well. Mark it for dumping, althought this doesnt seem very effective for me.

Stun them, either with a cave in, or dwarf companion, or dropping them a few levels. If you have dwarf companion, you can try hurting them a bit too. Sometimes that causes them to let go. (this is what i usually do)

Also, if you leave them to wrestle, sometimes another dwarf will rip it out of their hand. This method sucks, because then that other dwarf is carrying it, so all you really did was change the problem a bit.
-Toast-_

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 05:10:37 pm »

I tend to put them on station and on duty, then switch combat weapon skill usage and armour levels until they drops it. Seem to work just fine for me, though it takes a bit of time and checking.

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:27:12 pm »

What Tetty said.  This works.

I switch armor to 'naked' now every time I have a champion switch from wrestling to using weapons.  Get them to drop their britches momentarily, along with anything random in their hands, then switch them back to the appropriate armor level.

Honsoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 05:57:58 pm »

I tend to put them on station and on duty, then switch combat weapon skill usage and armour levels until they drops it. Seem to work just fine for me, though it takes a bit of time and checking.

That worked. Thanks!