Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Buyable Dwarves, Intelligent Pets & the Caste System  (Read 3516 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buyable Dwarves, Intelligent Pets & the Caste System
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 07:24:58 am »

well I suppose if you just wanted more on embark you could remove the tags afterwards..
but as for buying ingame, that might be an issue.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 08:00:57 am »

Ok, used PET_EXOTIC and CAN_LEARN and COMMON_DOMESTIC now. They can be embarked with, they can be given labours and they will actualy do them as well.

Problems are:
Hauling is broken. They pick up an item, and just loaf off around the meeting area with it.
Enitity position slaves. I found an entity position tag to restrict certain classes, but it doesnt work at all. Cant get rid of the 'stray expidition leader' without getting rid of CAN_LEARN.
The labour screen automatically excludes the ability to butcher slaves. Bummer. This wouldnt be that big a problem if only I can butcher my own entities corpses, but I cant do that either. Both custom and default reactions filter them out.

I would for now stick with the demeted slaves I had before, if it wernt for that damned hauling bug. I cant turn off hauling without the labour screen.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 09:05:39 am »

does dwarf theripist not allow you to change labors? would DT check for your pet dwarves (slaves) because they are a caste?

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »

Ok, used PET_EXOTIC and CAN_LEARN and COMMON_DOMESTIC now. They can be embarked with, they can be given labours and they will actualy do them as well.

Problems are:
Hauling is broken. They pick up an item, and just loaf off around the meeting area with it.
Enitity position slaves. I found an entity position tag to restrict certain classes, but it doesnt work at all. Cant get rid of the 'stray expidition leader' without getting rid of CAN_LEARN.
The labour screen automatically excludes the ability to butcher slaves. Bummer. This wouldnt be that big a problem if only I can butcher my own entities corpses, but I cant do that either. Both custom and default reactions filter them out.

I would for now stick with the demeted slaves I had before, if it wernt for that damned hauling bug. I cant turn off hauling without the labour screen.

Are those tags species wide or caste specific?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 12:21:17 pm »

Anyone know how to prevent certain castes from interbreeding?

Im making a slave cast, normal dwarves giving bitrh to 'slave babies' would be weird. Though it would let me be evil by butchering babies.

I also need to stop stuff like 'stray expidition leader'. Cant find the right tag in the enity definitions though. <--- fixed! Replaced [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_SPEAK][CAN_LEARN], then added [CAN_CIV] only to the non-slave dwarves.

Now THAT is an interesting discovery.

Can anyone confirm a way to purchase Dwarves on embark like pets but give them labors? I used to be able to do it in 40d, but I'm not absolutely sure how to do it in 2010 AND keep it so that there can be different castes at the same time.

For anyone who is having that problem, go into the raws for the save and delete the [COMMONDOMESTIC] and [PET] tags. That will revert the dwarves to normal, and you can still purchase them and give them labors.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 12:36:34 pm »

I'm fairly sure its cast specific, because my buy-able dwarves are genderless and those are the only ones that show up when perchased. Is it the PET_EXOTIC tag that allows the labors? all of mine are still butcherable and wont do labors even with can learn.

to get rid of the Stray expedition leader thing, you just need to make sure you have a solid leader dwarf, some points in leader and a smattering of other noble skills like appraiser and organizer and the like in your embark party.

the hauling bug is a DF bug and not part of this mod specifically, they will eventually put down what they are hauling. Ive seen it a lot with barrels of booz, they pick it up to drink from it and then they forget to put it back down,

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 12:39:34 pm »

I see the ability to use elfs as slaves and "Purchase" them at embark as "pets"
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 06:50:03 pm »

You can name your caste creatures whatever you like, you can even make them completely unique creatures. I think deons genesis mod has some good examples for that.

And I know that the dwarf with most social skills gets to be the first expidition leader, but after that there will be 'stray dungeon master' migrants, and more such problems.

What im trying to do is make a civ has actual slaves, rather than just regular dwarves that you can buy. I mostly just want slaves to do hauling, cleaning, etc. along with some soldiering. Just basic work that more important dwarves wouldnt bother with. Its to fit in with a race of dwarves who have just about every evil thing I could give them (they eat goblins, have custom evil weapons, and even some sacrificial altars)

The slave project kinda started as something to use the altars for. Turns out that  probabaly wont work, but I think ill leave in some slaves without can_learn and find some utility to disable their broken hauling.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »

I'm fairly sure its cast specific, because my buy-able dwarves are genderless and those are the only ones that show up when perchased. Is it the PET_EXOTIC tag that allows the labors? all of mine are still butcherable and wont do labors even with can learn.

to get rid of the Stray expedition leader thing, you just need to make sure you have a solid leader dwarf, some points in leader and a smattering of other noble skills like appraiser and organizer and the like in your embark party.

the hauling bug is a DF bug and not part of this mod specifically, they will eventually put down what they are hauling. Ive seen it a lot with barrels of booz, they pick it up to drink from it and then they forget to put it back down,

I haven't had any luck with making only a single caste as Pet material myself. My own raws currently have my main civ race (kobolds) with the [use_any_pet_race] tag, and certain genderless castes in mine are listed as [pet_exotic], yet I can't purchase them. I find it really odd since Gremlins are also listed as [Pet_exotic], yet I can purchase them easily on the screen.

Why do you think that is happening?

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 01:33:45 pm »

I haven't had any luck with making only a single caste as Pet material myself. My own raws currently have my main civ race (kobolds) with the [use_any_pet_race] tag, and certain genderless castes in mine are listed as [pet_exotic], yet I can't purchase them. I find it really odd since Gremlins are also listed as [Pet_exotic], yet I can purchase them easily on the screen.

Why do you think that is happening?
The required tag to buy them is not pet exotic or any pet race, its Common Domestic. I haven't been able to go back in and fiddle with this since my last post. so I havnt found anything new just yet.
Pages: 1 [2]