Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Embark showed sand, didn't get any after embark.  (Read 715 times)

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Embark showed sand, didn't get any after embark.
« on: December 26, 2008, 11:54:51 pm »

So, I spent several hours genning worlds and looking for the site I wanted (glacier + a magma pipe + sand + aquifer + a flux that wasn't marble) and I thought I had finally found the one I was looking for when I stumbled over this site:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, upon arriving at the site, there is no white sand layer where indicated. The map matches up perfectly with what I was shown on embark, except the white sand layer has been replaced by the shale layer underneath it.

I can upload my save (unembarked) if requested. (I am using the Goblin Family mod + 3 new reactions + a couple changes to cats)

Edit: whoops,  :-[ I have the wrong section. I'm sorry :(

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Embark showed sand, didn't get any after embark.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:49:16 am »

Try mining into the top layer of the shale and building a floor over it. Then remove it and see if you get the sand that is supposed to be in that layer

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:02:18 pm »

Try mining into the top layer of the shale and building a floor over it. Then remove it and see if you get the sand that is supposed to be in that layer

Tried this with several variations, no white sand. I think I'll just use a tile edit tool to give myself some sand. Not that it matters now :P (Got sieged by a bunch of crossbows, lost a fair chunk of my pop, probably going to tantrum spiral combined with a lack of drinks, haven't even got water yet :P )

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 06:26:14 pm »

I have seen it before - it's rare, but apparently it's possible to embark in a biome that would - in theory - have sand, but because of some pecularity of the local topology - say high cliffs - the top layer does not exist.
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:55:46 am »

I have seen it before - it's rare, but apparently it's possible to embark in a biome that would - in theory - have sand, but because of some pecularity of the local topology - say high cliffs - the top layer does not exist.

Bingo.

I had a similar issue with a white sand layer that supposedly had an aquifer. I ended up having to move over to an entirely different region tile (about a dozen or so local tiles total) before I found the aquifer. It should be noted that I was somewhere between 10 and 20 z levels below my original fort at this point, which would explain the lack of an aquifer where I had embarked.

If you're curious, regen the region and embark on a large (say 8x8) area that incorporates all of the sand biome in question. Use reveal as well if you so wish, although you mainly just need to look at the top layer.