Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble getting rocks to be moved  (Read 578 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble getting rocks to be moved
« on: December 25, 2008, 03:01:16 am »

Im trying to build a large wall but the entire screen im building it on is covered in stone.

I designated a garbage area with (i) - [g], and made sure its [a]ctive. In fact, ive designated multiple garbage dumps. The stones i want moved are designated with the purple D for dumping. There are plenty of dwarves sitting around with nothing to do, with refuse skill highlighted. They have easy access to it and walk around the area all day.

No one will move these rocks.

What am i doing wrong, or what else can i try to clear this path of rocks so i can build this wall without a million [cancel construct building; item blocking site] messages?
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble getting rocks to be moved
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 03:05:43 am »

I take it this wall is outside?

Code: [Select]
[o]rders - [r]efuse is what you are looking for. Set it to 'dwarfs gather outside' or some such.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 03:20:31 am »

Yes it is.

leather coat

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 06:18:24 am »

What am i doing wrong, or what else can i try to clear this path of rocks so i can build this wall without a million [cancel construct building; item blocking site] messages?

Are the walls you're building using the same material as what's litttering the floor? What's probably happening is that the rocks you want to use to build those walls are on top of the tiles where other parts of the walls are. I assume you used the umkh to lay down multiple walls, so the game automatically selects which stones to use and it just happens to be that the stone it selected lays on a wall building site.

So with those rocks being tasked to be used for other parts of the wall (and probably marked as dumped as well) you will keep getting the item blocking site message, no one wants to dump them because they're already tasked for building and the builders can't move 'em aside either unless the stone happens to be the exact one that's going to be used on the wall site it's sitting on (builders will automatically move aside items blocking the ground provided they're not tasked for anything). I reckon you have to cancel all your buildings so that your dwarfs can dump them or better yet build the walls section by section so that you won't get so many unresolved cancel building alerts.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 11:48:11 am »

I tried both of those. I canceled all the plans for my walls so they could be dumped but no one would move them. Before that i was building them piece by piece, but the plans i had in mind would make that an excruciatingly slow process.

leather coat