Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ideas for what to construct next  (Read 1664 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for what to construct next
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 05:42:45 am »

Giant steel magma-spewing statue.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 01:18:43 pm »

make a path that only opens after winter, when ice thaws. something with a huge ramp of magma and melted ice turning into water to create a path. and you can store all your valuables in it

EPIC

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 03:23:07 pm »

Unfortunately I'm in a temperate biome with no freezing weather, and no evaporation weather save for the small land on the edge of my map where I'm not building anything.
And I just don't have enough iron to convert to steel to do any crazy solid-X contructions. The handful I get from traders every year barely covers my equipment needs.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 03:45:59 pm »

Dont the goblins bring you some?
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 03:47:32 pm »

Hello!

How about an undwarvish tower section? If you still have space for it, creating new towers for it would be ideal, but having several existing towers increased in height would also probably work.

Now, the important thing about that tower section would be that there are no internal stairways, or maybe just occasionally one floor connected to one neighboring floor - and that's it.

Instead, there are wooden floors (effectively free-floating hanging bridges) connecting different towers and occasionally including one or more stairs. These high roads could sometimes have crossings or whatever. The important thing would be to have it somewhat free and chaotic so that the floors seem like the strands of a spider web (although preferably not as ordered as those).

Building material for the towers could be anything, stone/stone blocks probably being best.

If you feel really nasty, make sure the floors are used in such a fashion to have dwarves walk around on the open bridges A LOT (but do not blame me if they drain your FPS in vengeance :) ).

Looking through your list, I also see that you do not have a labyrinth. This would be ideal for an underground construction. This being the 3D version of DF, it should be a 3 dimensional labyrinth with lots of dead ends and a difficult path to the target room. (Actually, I think that is a feature other players would enjoy with their adventurers if you chose to share your save with others after abandoning).

Another idea that popped up would a tedious exploit of a bug. IIRC, there had been a bug that constructing a wall and then removing it would destroy a floor engraving. If that is still the case, you could make dedicated halls with special engravings around a specific theme. For instance, you could have a history room where all floor engravings refer to historic events (requiring you to erase all other engravings). Or have a room dedicated to certain creatures (like a unicorn room a.k.a. tomb, or a cat room).

Deathworks

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 04:27:09 pm »

Dont the goblins bring you some?

Hmmm, I haven't set up my melting industry to that extent yet. Another problem is that I use Iron to build most of my floodgates and doors, so that alone takes up quite a few hundred bars. I've been trying to avoid killing local leaders in sieges in an attempt to prolong the length of time my fortress will be at war, but it doesn't seem to be working as well as I hoped.

I love the themed history section of my fortress. Maybe I can incorporate it with my museum of artifacts, and make it a huge underground dedication to the wonder and glory of my fortress. Awesome.
And I already have a handful of catwalks. But more are always good. Much more. More towers first though.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 04:43:01 pm »

Bonus points if the catwalks are what's supporting the towers ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: 1 [2]