Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woodland Management (Coppicing)  (Read 1415 times)

Tostig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Woodland Management (Coppicing)
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:27:48 pm »

In order to maintain a steady supply of useful wood, people didn't just hack trees down when they needed a bit more wood. Rather, woodland was managed carefully, in fact Henry VIII went about making laws demanding that it be done.

While ideally I'd like it to be possible to plant saplings, I'm instead suggesting a new task for woodcutters - coppicing. Coppicing involves repeatedly cutting down a tree to nearly ground level, causing it to put up many new shoots. After a few years these can be cut, and the process starts again.

In game terms coppicing a tree would mean that you get wood, but also that the tree isn't killed, but neither can it be harvested again for another few years. This would be useful for permanently sourcing your supply of wood within a small area, and also gives trainee wood-cutters something to practice on rather than chopping down ancient oaks or whatever they get up to now.

Go on, it's about bending nature to the player's will. What's not Dorfish about that?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woodland Management (Coppicing)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:42:02 pm »

Birch can be coppiced for faggots on a three- or four-year cycle

*childish snicker*

Currently trees grow to full height in just three years so for now it'd be a redundant mechanic. Maybe one day

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:43:32 pm »

It wouldn't be completely redundant, like the OP said, you could use it to control where your trees grow. you could harvest the wood without killing the tree, so with time and carefull management you could have a bunch of trees in a small area.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:47:31 pm »

Maintaining nature seems more an elvish thing to do.  I think it should be in the game, just not for dwarves.  Otherwise, good idea.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:30:58 pm »

I wouldn't say cutting down trees to a stump is very elven. It's not so much maintaining it as it is pinning it down and raping it repeatedly

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 03:36:13 pm »

This would be nice, since it would act as a un-crushable sapling, which would be nice in areas where the tree's are few but the feet are many.

Though it seems it would just replace completely the actually woodcutting job, since without any negatives there would be no reason to not use this job for every tree.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 03:42:22 pm »

I wouldn't say cutting down trees to a stump is very elven. It's not so much maintaining it as it is pinning it down and raping it repeatedly
Intersting..... heres your cookie.

*Goes outside*

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 04:03:19 pm »

Though it seems it would just replace completely the actually woodcutting job, since without any negatives there would be no reason to not use this job for every tree.

You can't make furniture and houses out of twigs. The process was invented to serve as a source of firewood

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 07:39:34 pm »

Birch can be coppiced for faggots on a three- or four-year cycle

*childish snicker*

Currently trees grow to full height in just three years so for now it'd be a redundant mechanic. Maybe one day

I thought it was half of that?

But yeah, seems rather redundant and pointless, since it'd just be good for firewoods ( and possibly one of those weaving kinds that uses soft branchs or sapling or something, I forget what it was called ) Planting saplings makes a lot more sense, though I'm not sure how that'd work, short of stealing a sapling from somewhere already  ;D

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 08:12:31 pm »

Quote from: Pilsu
You can't make furniture and houses out of twigs. The process was invented to serve as a source of firewood
Not exactly. Depending on the tree (like chestnut) it can also be used to make wood for posts/poles and furniture.

I think this would work if coppicing took up a good amount of a wood cutters time. Enough so that it's a slight disadvantage, coupled with the longer growth period would balance it.

EDIT: Oops, I wrote my post in the wrong spot. Fix'd.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:21:23 pm by Artyr »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 08:28:49 pm »

Looking at it, it seems like it could be part of the process of creating bolts. A stack of 25 Alder Shoots + stack of twenty five Obsidian arrowheads = 25 Obsidian tipped bolts.
!!&!!