Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generic Nobles  (Read 641 times)

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Generic Nobles
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:54:29 pm »

So seeing at there is only 1 noble for each job, and seeing as i've been playing a lot of Medieval 2: Total War, i've got a idea...

You would make a generic noble class (like anyone who currently isn't a noble is a mid-lower class).  What the generic class would do is they would want slightly better rooms, wont do usual labor tasks like mining or fishing, and would want to buy their own weapons/armor/horse(in human fort) with their own money using DF's economy system. Meaning they can be drafted. They would be slightly more powerful then regular mid-low class peasants that get drafted, and would also be the only choice of soldiers when making your king's bodyguard corps.  And maybe there could be some multi-person jobs that are only available to the generic nobles.  So what do you guys think?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Nobles
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:56:24 pm »

Not bad... I already use Dwarf Manager to put them all into the "A Stupid Noble" Group.

Makes it entertaining when "A Stupid Noble has mandated the construction of certain goods"
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:18:23 am »

It would be interesting if we could have more options for our aristocracy; one such would be a military aristocracy.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 04:52:29 pm »

any other comments?

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 06:00:32 pm »

any other comments?

Nah, not today. I'm fine thanks.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:17:51 pm »

1) Begging for comments is not a good idea.

2) This is an offshoot of a larger question: How should the player's decisions affect societies? To what extent and through what mechanics should this change come about?

In this respect, nobles should be able to be forced into any service if something is called a "state of emergency." Certain conditions would have to be met--for example, if there is a siege, or if the economy plummets suddenly, or a disaster strikes and destroys so much property.

Nobles should practice any skill that they become a "novice" in in their spare time, and try to make it more popular by training other nobles. Nobles could also call masters of that trade in to teach them, if the skill gets to be so popular. After a while, nobles could fall into factions along trade lines.

Anyway, that's just one thought.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.