Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d:mac] Dwarves Stuck Unhappily Drinking Water  (Read 999 times)

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d:mac] Dwarves Stuck Unhappily Drinking Water
« on: December 19, 2008, 12:53:33 pm »

It appears that dwarves who are carrying water will drink that water regardless of any other instructions, even though they want to drink alcohol instead.  This applies to both military and ex-military dwarves, regardless of whether the 'water carried' option is currently set, or was at the end of service.  I don't know whether or not they refill their water skins.  It may also be true of hunters, although naturally most of my hunters double as reservists, and are thus ex-military (have been activated and/or guards in the past);  so it's hard to tell if hunting alone is enough to trigger the problem.

The only fix I've come up with is to mark the water skins for dumping.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Re: [40d:mac] Dwarves Stuck Unhappily Drinking Water
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:18 pm »

Well I do notice that my military "reservists" tend to refill their waterskins now and then while going about their civilian duties so I can assume that they do drink the water out of it, though I haven't checked to see if they ever drink the bountiful amount of alcohol available in my fortress.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 08:40:49 pm »

It should be fairly easy to tell;  there is a series of clauses that are appended to the "Needs alcohol to get through the day" line as the dwarf becomes more and more desperate for booze.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 09:10:55 pm »

Yep, my full time as well as my part time military are becoming somewhat sober as well as sombre. Only work around is to tell 'em to chuck the waterskins out. My Royal and Fortress guards who don't carry waterskins are getting through the day drunkenly and ecstatically.

This definitely needs some fixing.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:54 pm »

Sorry for the double post.

I just spotted one of my fortress guards drinking from alcohol barrels instead of the general issue waterskin he carried from back in his regular army days. But my part-time and full-time regulars never seem to drink alcohol anymore judging by their profile pages.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:03:22 am »

To provide a 'solution' to the OP, this isn't a bug.  It's a feature that is often described as a bug, at least if it does happen to be this.

There's a good chance your dwarves are getting sick of the same kind of booze.  Do you only produce dwarven wine, or only one kind of booze, by any chance?  Get brewing other kinds if so.  They'll probably start drinking from the booze supply then.

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 08:42:20 pm »

Hm.  My current inventory of booze:

• Dwarven wine [842]
  • Dwarven ale [39]
  • Dwarven beer [60]
  • Dwarven rum [58]
  • Swamp whiskey [117]
  • Tuber beer [26]
  • Prickle berry wine [62]
  • Strawberry wine [251]
  • Longland beer [4]
  • Sewer brew [8]
  • Fisher berry wine [197]
  • River spirits [3]
  • Sunshine [240]

Unless they're insisting on wine coolers or mixed drinks, alcohol ennui doesn't seem to be a likely source of the problem.  (Also, it would probably be reflected in the paragraph of happy/unhappy events, that they drank a drank they were getting tired of, wouldn't it?)

At any rate, it no longer causes me particular trouble.  I've just made sure I have excess water skins;  I tend to only tell the dwarves to carry water when major combat is in the offing, so once I disable that, I can just go through the expanded inventory list of water skins and mark all non-forbidden ones which contain water for dumping.  Sadly, the water itself can't be successfully dumped.

I have seen hunters independently fill their water skins, now.  I'm not sure if its only before hunting or all the time.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:01:02 am »

This is a known issue.

# Req417, "WATER"SKINS?, (Future): Military dwarves should be apt to carry booze instead of water.