Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: constructions too close to edge variance  (Read 4675 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
constructions too close to edge variance
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:53:41 pm »

I am sure someone has reported thi by now but i thought i would throw it out there for now and see what everyone says.

When building constructions near the edge of the screen, you must always take into account that at a certain point you cant build because of the "too close to edge" problem.  I just discovered the actual physical place is one step closer/further away depending on what you are building.

ex:  I am building an archer tower near a corner for killing gobbos's etc, and went to build my fortifications on one side.  I had explicitly made sure that i could build the exact dimensions i wanted before I made my 7z-lvl archer tower.  At the top I discovered i cant put up my fortifications, but I can build either floors, ramps or up stairs at the edge.  Fortifications, down stairs, up/down stairs or walls are a nogo.

Anyone else run into this?

Gorjo
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: constructions too close to edge variance
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:11:02 pm »

Floors are the only construction I know of that can be built to the edge of the map.  Maybe ramps and stairs as well because they don't block.  What I find interesting though is... Did you say you could build walls out ot a certain point, but fortifications were not aloud in the same spot or were you trying to put your fortifications one space closer?

I'm pretty sure it's done so you can't block the edges of the map for things like migrants, raids and traders.... Though it would be interesting to funnel all migrants into an automatic death trap of some kind instead of your meeting hall.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:16:53 pm »

I didnt notice that floors could be built all the way out.  But yes, I cannot build Fortifications at a certain point, but can build floors, up stairs and ramps......yes a death maze at the map edge is possible i think........
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:20:23 pm »

I didnt notice that floors could be built all the way out.  But yes, I cannot build Fortifications at a certain point, but can build floors, up stairs and ramps......yes a death maze at the map edge is possible i think........
There's no reliable way to trap them.  Nothing "restrictive" can be placed at the map edge.  The only thing I have not tried is digging out or walling up the entire map to direct them.  I know other people have and it's not on topic. :p  Anyway.  As long as the fortification and walls have the same restrictions, I think that's per design.  If one is different, then I'd question it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Variance

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's scare some woodcutters, Billy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 04:57:46 pm »

When building constructions near the edge of the screen, you must always take into account that at a certain point you cant build because of the "too close to edge" problem.  I just discovered the actual physical place is one step closer/further away depending on what you are building.

Just out of curiosity, when you say one step closer/further away from the line, is the distance from the edge of the map you have to have to build walls/fortifications in your DF copy abnormally far? (How many sqaures away?)

I felt obligated to reply, given that you called my name.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:06:05 pm by Variance »
Why is everyone so angry?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:04:23 pm »

I felt obligated to reply, given that you called my name.
;D