Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Well gets destroyed at winter?  (Read 757 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Well gets destroyed at winter?
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:31:30 am »

So I have a well on the ground level, because my fort is aboveground. And every time winter comes and the water freezes under it, the building gets destroyed and has to be rebuilt again. Is this a feature or a bug? I've build an underground water reservoir for my dorfs to get water from after I got tired of rebuilding the well every spring. But I'm asking this out of curiosity.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:24:03 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Re: Well gets destroyed at winter?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:22:51 am »

Is it directly on top of the water, i.e. 1 z-level above it?

Never played in a cold climate before but I'd assume that it's because the well is supposed to be built over open space. When the water dried, the open space below it became an ice floor as the 7/7 water tile below it freezes into an ice wall. So I guess that would destroy the well.

A workaround to this is as you've already done, build an underground reservoir which won't freeze up (actually, I think as long as it's indoors i.e. roofed the water won't freeze if I understood the wiki right). If your water and well isn't roofed or underground I reckon it has to be at least 2 z-levels above the water so that it'll still be over open space when the water freezes up.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯