Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wondering pets  (Read 623 times)

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wondering pets
« on: December 07, 2008, 01:44:41 pm »

hey, i've just started out on a fortress and I noticed all my animals: some horses/donkeys, 2 dogs (and besides my cat who hangs around my food stockpiles all day) just seem to be wandering around outside, climbing a mountain ect., but I want then around my entrance, I got a tin cage although it doesn't seem to be doing anything, so is there a way to get my animals to stay in a specific spot?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering pets
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 02:02:18 pm »

If you designate a meeting area zone, they tend to hang out there.  They may still wander off from time to time (and the cat WILL wander*), but they'll stay there for the most part.

Also, if you set up the cage, you can assign all the stray animals to it.  Yes, all.  Note however that animals won't get pregnant inside the cage (though they will still give birth if they're pregnant before you stuff them inside it).

Additionally, you can throw them all in a pit and/or put them behind doors set to "keep tightly closed".

*Cats go and chase vermin.  Yours probably hangs out in the stockpile because vermin tend to go after your food.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:36:42 pm »

ok, thanks, one more thing, does anyone have any quick tips on farming?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 02:44:35 pm »

1) When in doubt, use plump helmets.
2) Cooking booze borders on cheating.
3) Buy food from the caravans if you want to get some variety.
4) Kill the elves.

...OK, #4 isn't specifically about farming, but should be done anyways just on general principles ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:26:58 pm »

4) Kill the elves.
...OK, #4 isn't specifically about farming, but should be done anyways just on general principles ;D
But the elves bring trees, and tamed animals to start an elephant ranch!
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer