Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Drowned fish produce fish corpses, which are butchered, not raw fish.  (Read 478 times)

Schwern

• Bay Watcher
  • MAKE WAY FOR THE DWARF!!
    • View Profile

This one caught me off guard.  I had dammed a river producing a blissful holocaust of drowning carp and lamprey.  In preparation I'd built a second fishery and assigned some spare fish cleaning and processing for the coming feast.  To my surprise, instead of raw fish I got fish corpses which were handled by the, now overworked, butcher.  In the end, I wound up with a lot of rotten fish.

I guess it's correct in that corpses are butchered, but why should a fish that died by drowning produce anything different than a fish which is caught by a fisherdwarf?  Presumably they both die by drowning (though I wouldn't put it past the fisher to strangle them with her bare hands) and should both produce raw fish to be processed at the fishery.

I suppose, in terms of game mechanics, the fish seen in the river are aquatic creatures while those caught by fisherdwarves are not.  One dies and produces a corpse, like any other creature, the other pops into existence as a raw fish.

Dunno if this would be classed as a bug or misfeature, but it would be nice if dead fish were processed as fish at the fishery.

Thanks.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Actually, Carp and other large fish are different from the vermin-type fish that are caught. In fact, carp are never caught by fishermen- only the other way around.

For instance, you can order "carp meat" from caravans, but not "salmon meat"- only "salmon"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile

On the upside, we finally know how to get Carp Leather.

Schwern

• Bay Watcher
  • MAKE WAY FOR THE DWARF!!
    • View Profile

Indeed, I see in my stocks longnose gar, carp, sea lamprey and pike leather all of which were in the river.