Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obtaining fresh water?  (Read 513 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obtaining fresh water?
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:29:35 pm »

Okay, my dwarves are drinking out nearby lakes, and are traipsing miles for water and fishing to a brook.

So, I thought, why not take the brook to me?
Is there any way to speed up mining operations by making the miners stay on task and not wander off all the time?

This operation's gonna be going down multiple Z levels, mostly downhill. Do I set up a series of waterfalls with channels, use ramps, staircases, or what?
Would it just be easier to dig waaaay out all the way underground instead of making the dwarves walk overland?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining fresh water?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

Channels, staircases and ramps will all work the same way with water, although channels won't allow dwarves to go up and down during construction.
Whichever you do, bear in mind that water pressure will cause the water to rise up to the level of the brook at the other end of your canal unless you throttle it through a screw pump.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:24:16 pm »

It will?
Oh crap. Thanks for the warning, before I flood my entire damn fortress.

Hmmm. This gives me an idea. If I drown a caravan, do I get to keep their stuff?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:00:04 pm »

Yeah you get to keep their stuff. One fortress i made; the only work they ever did was to carve some rooms for themselves and the drowning room for traders.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:09:49 pm »

Right! Having diverted the river and not lost anyone in the process, I need to embark on an elf-drowning device.

Another question:
Can I get my dwarves to loot corpses?
Kobold thieves and macaques are getting a little underfoot and leaving a mess.

And is there any use for caged, tame animals other than vendor trash?

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:38:27 pm »

Animals are food, leather and bone supply, work it out  ;D and I believe the command to let them loot bodies are [o ] [r ] and check the refuse orders, then [o ] [F ] and check the forbidding orders, but after the fact it's [d ] [b ] [c ] and mass-selection